THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wahoowad

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
PookieBoo
I'm interested in taking a regular old frozen pizza and cooking it on either my pellet smoker or Weber grill (indirect). I do have a cast iron pizza pan. Any suggestions?

You will get more “wood fired taste” on the Weber offset. Problem is, you will have to rotate it a lot for it not to burn where it is closer to the coals. What you could do and I’ve done in the past, is put the pizza on the pellet on low/smoke for 10-20 min. Then finish in the oven. I find the pellet will cook the bottom and not the top. That’s why I think the Weber might be better. I bought a GMG pizza attachment and retrofitted it to fit my MAK. That’s the only way I cook pizza now.

I did a frozen pizza before on my rec tec and it did add to the flavor. I found home made on the MB560 with charcoal and hickory chunks were the bomb though.

Pizza, lasagna, enchiladas, eggplant parm, or any casserole that has cheese and/or a tomato sauce will pick up some 'wood fired oven' flavor. You actually have to be gentle on the smoke to avoid too much smoky flavor. You are right about an indirect set-up, and for pizza, that means a raised set-up, or the heat diffuser, or a pan of sorts.... all the other things, this is the set-up on my BGE.

FeE7GPU.jpg

OO7RSpV.jpg

tXPNuVa.jpg

Using my Weber Smokefire, cranked to 450f, put on top shelf of the cooker does wonders for frozen pizzas. Defrosted first, the heat reflected off the top of the smoker will cook and brown the top of the pizza and the crust will get crispy

I've done this on my Copperhead 5 vertical pellet smoker. I use a pre-heated pizza stone underneath and cook at 400*. You do get a little smoke flavor, but it's not really in the smoke long enough to pick up a huge amount. Pizza comes out great for me though! Good even crust on my stone also!

Here is one I did a while back. Doctored up with some extra meat and extra cheese, but it's a Kroger store brand pizza (the ones next to the deli counter in most Kroger's).

ewdKgMWl.jpg

7bUsULJl.jpg

imemMvUl.jpg

Italian chiming in. No, you won't get wood-fired taste from hot coals or smoldering chunks—you need an actual fire. If you have an offset smoker with a suitably large firebox, you might attempt cooking pizza in it (in the firebox, that is) with a stone and paying close attention not to burn it too much. You'll need temperatures in excess of 800 degrees F

Here's something I've used in a pinch to reheat slices of pizza while the cooker was running for other things. Bear in mind my firebox is 16" wide, if you want to cook a whole pizza in it you'll need a 20" firebox at the very least

qRNfkae.mp4

Last edited:
I've never tried it with frozen pizza, but have cooked pizza in my Weber kettle with lump. I spread the lump around the perimeter of the kettle and cook the pizza on an upside down cast iron pan. You'll be surprised at how much charcoal it takes to get that setup hot enough, especially if it's cold out. But to answer your question, I 100% get wood-fired taste from that setup.

I might have to get some lump. How do you get it hot enough? Lid off for max airflow? Lid on to capture heat?

I'm thinking full chimney around perimeter, a few in the center. Lid on but cracked, all vents open, let my Lodge cast iron pizza pan heat up for 10 minutes, add a few wood chunks, then pizza on and lid closed and watch it every 3 to 5 minutes.

Back