Newest Old Country Pit - Smokehouse Vertical

I was in The Abeline Academy earlier this month and made the mistake of checking these out. I have a Gateway drum so I think this would be a little redundant but I'd love to have one. My Sweetheart was egging me towards getting an over and under but the smokehouse was calling to me. I'm curious about fire management with these. Do you burn lump, logs, how long does a load of fuel last before having to be restocked?

Getcha One....... :heh:

Debating that now as I've spent a lot of money lately on house so thought it time to spend some on me.

Do you find it more like a drum smoker or WSM in regards to direct heat type smoker vs indirect type? I've an old BDS smoker before Rocky closed up shop & find that I deal more w/ burned meats on high sugar type rubs/sauce if I don't pay attention. Do you think a better product would come with or without water pan?

I burn splits in it so its not like my drum, it runs like any offset Ive cooked on except it requires a little bit smaller fire. I use water pan to help get even temps thru out.

I love this smoker bought one a month ago and it's amazing for the money! Cooking some pork steak and tri tip as we speak! Holds 225 perfectly! Very accurately adjustable with the vents! I just came from a a weber with a smokenator mod, so I'm in heaven with this simplicity of this smoker.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223711

Since the new ones come with the removable water pan really you just need to hang a can on the drain and modify the fire box grate for better Ash control

You rock dude! Thanks...considering what my next smoker purchase is gonna be. Currently own a PBC, Masterbuilt Electric 40" and a Louisianna 800 Elite Pellet Grill. So many options out there. Thinking it will be an insulated veritical, but gosh, they are all expensive.

So I guess the big question for me now is which smoker to get next. I currently own a PBC, 40" Masterbuilt Electric and a Louisianna 800 Elite Pellet Cooker. I would say my favorite of these 3 is the PBC for it's simplicity...but I'm looking now at both Vertical Insulated and Offset stick burners. Don't want to spend a ton of money...but also don't want to get essentially a duplicate of what I already have. Guessing the stick burner is the most different from what I currently own. Price I'd spend would be $1200 or so. Suggestions?

Smokehouse IS a KickAzz Stickburner - $699 plus $80 shipping - just have 3-4 helpers as it usually comes on a small box truck with no lift from what I've seen posted on here.

You could get a Kat being you are in Cali but you need a little more budget

http://www.katbbqsmokers.com

Smokehouse IS a KickAzz Stickburner - $699 plus $80 shipping - just have 3-4 helpers as it usually comes on a small box truck with no lift from what I've seen posted on here.

You could get a Kat being you are in Cali but you need a little more budget

http://www.katbbqsmokers.com

Yea...I've heard good things about it. Do you normally run it with water/liquid? I'm really looking to burn a clean fire...and I would think with a vertical smoker, having the pit door open (so the fire has enough air) would make the cooking chamber run too hot.

Thoughts?

You don't need to have the door open. Slide vent is plenty - I usually have it at half open.
I like to cook 275-300* and it likes to run there with full splits. Lower temps you may need to split your split to 1/8 or cut in half length wise.

You don't need to have the door open. Slide vent is plenty - I usually have it at half open.
I like to cook 275-300* and it likes to run there with full splits. Lower temps you may need to split your split to 1/8 or cut in half length wise.

Yea...thanks dude! What about your smokestack pipe? How open you typically run that and you're also running a water pan as well?

Thanks again!

Yea...thanks dude! What about your smokestack pipe? How open you typically run that and you're also running a water pan as well?

Thanks again!

Exhaust Always full Open on all my smokers. I run water pans in all of them too to help even temps out and becuase I don't like the drippings burning, a catch pan with no water the drippings still burn in pan so I run water pans. Many don't.

Yesterday i did 4 Briskets in another Vertical Smoker- I started out without a water pan but the drippings were burning on plate between Firebox and Cook Chamber and I didn't like the Smell of it so i added a water pan.

I'm just starting out and really like the smokehouse and the wrangler. I know there different types of smokers but witch one is easier to maintain temperature. And operate as a new be thanks Mike

Smokehouse.

How often you putting sticks in? Every 45-60 mins? Really want a horizontal offset for the size, but man...this vertical looks mighty fine, especially for he price. You find your able to get clean burns and maintain temps?

Back