What kind of ribs do you use (Deep South Teams)

Butt Rubb'n BBQ

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Just wondering what type of ribs all you kcbs teams use. St. Louis style or loin back. I cook in the gba but doing a kcbs contest in a few weeks just wondering what the judges are use to seeing. I can cook either. Thanks for the help.

I cook St. Louis only- I've heard a a few teams cooking loin backs in KCBS but none of the successful rib teams that I'm friends with cook anything but SL.

There is just too small of a window to create "Perfect, KCBS Standard" baby backs. St Louis style spare ribs are a bit more forgiving.

Disagree! If you're competing in an area (like around Memphis) you do better with baby backs IF you can cook them successfully. Mainly because that's what judges around there expect.

When the baby backs are cooked right, they can win, too.

Spares are easier to get in the box at times. You should cook what you are comfortable with.

Your biggest concerns should be cooking them to KCBS judging standards and building your box correctly so that either fits in it well. All the rest will fall in place.

Disagree! If you're competing in an area (like around Memphis) you do better with baby backs IF you can cook them successfully. Mainly because that's what judges around there expect.

I think this is partially due to the fact that the majority of entries in this region are still St. Louis. In fact, the better entries I see at the table tend to be St. Louis, but this plays into Candy Sue's caveat - if you cook baby backs, they HAVE to be cooked right. A well cooked rib is a well cooked rib, regardless. Spares just have a greater margin for error.

Back