Brown Paper Bag

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Can I use one to wrap brisket? I guess they have glue and maybe ink with the grocer's name but should be OK.

Thanks for any input.

Some have mentioned you are taking a chance with them, but if they are safe to put raw veges and other things in them, I am guessing they will do just fine. My Mom used to make the best dang apple pie using a paper bag to bake them in.
Dave

growing up I remember my Mom cooking a turkey in one for Thanksgiving. All 7 kids are still around 45 years later!

Life is too short to worry about a paper bag. Have you ever eaten popcorn out of a paper bag?

While it may not be a food safe approved paper for direct contact for food, it is certainly the lesser evil of all the other choices.

If I was in a bind I would rather use a brown paper bag than rosin paperr kraft paper.

I have used many of them through the years. I know that doesn't mean that they are totally safe but I feel that it at least says there not imminently deadly either. As other have said, long before I was using them my mother and grandmother was using them as well. The only part that has any glue is the bottom. You could cut the bottom out and use the remaining paper to wrap with if you are concerned about the glue.

I use 'em cut the bottom out and down each side of the glue strip so you have a Flat sheet

You can cook with them, as Bludawg said, cut out the bottom and seam. Works fine then.

I swear I can taste the paper when using them, so I don't use any kraft paper. But, others do just fine.

My Mom used t hem to bake hams and lived to be 91... She always told a concerned neighbor lady, "Just don't eat the bag".

Still a GO! On my WSM going with no water foil lined pan, foil pan above it on second rack to catch drippings for gravy and bag wrapped brisket after hitting the bark.

Still a GO! On my WSM going with no water foil lined pan, foil pan above it on second rack to catch drippings for gravy and bag wrapped brisket after hitting the bark.

Looking forward to seeing your pics.....

The paper bags I have are a no go. I smelled them and the have an almost perfume smell. We have about 6 and they are all together. Label on the bottom says 100% recyclable and contains a minimum of 40% post consumer recycled content.

Not Gonna Do It! Looks like nekked or foil cook. Pic's to follow.

Thanks for all the replies.

Update! The Wife just informed me that the smell is from Downey Dryer sheets kept in the same cabinet. Farked again!

Update! The Wife just informed me that the smell is from Downey Dryer sheets kept in the same cabinet. Farked again!

Tell her to buy apple scented dryer sheets next time.... LOL

Good catch Mike, you saved the brisket...

Back