Splits NOT Flaming??

Hi All My Harbor Freight now has the splitter for $94.99,but You can't use the the 20% off coupon.
Question for those of you that have one. My firewood is 21-22" in lenght, so it be too long for this splitter,Would it be possible to put the lenght across the splitter and have it cut in half? Thickness bout 3-5".
Thanks Dan

no

go back to HF and buy the recip saw for 17.99. that will cut the splits in half

your splits are too long anyway

Saw

Hi That is the problem I have no saws that will cut them in half.. They are rock hard. Tried to cut them with my neibors chain saw, could cut only the cheery that I had, the oak forget about it.
I don't think a recip saw would cut any better then the chain saw?. I even tried cutting them with a hand saw, with no luck.
Thanks DanB

Last edited:
I bought a 10" battery powered chain saw on line (Northern Tool) for $100. Works great to cut logs to length. I'm trying to find a wood guy who sells 24" wood. I'm buying 18" now and would rather end up with 12" vs. 9" splits. I also bought a foot operated splitter on line (fireplace friend) for $40. (Regular $70). I think the hydraulic splitter with the levers would be better. If my oak is particularly hard or is larger, the foot pressure is not enough. Just trying to work things out.

Splits on fire

Hi All Many thanks for ALL the great info. on getting wood splits to flame.. I'm doing another wood burning smoke as we speak.
I think I finally got the hang of this stick burning thing.No trouble getting the splits to flame for a nice clean smoke.
I use the same procedure as I did in my last post.Most important info. I got, was to preheat the splits on top of the fire box, works wonders for getting the splits to flame, also leaving the FB door open for a good draft.
Now all I need is find a wood supplier.
Thanks Again Dan
PS I think a big help to getting the splits to flame, was lining the FireBox with the fire bricks.Keeps the FB real HOT!!!

Burning splits

Hi Fired up the COS today for a pre Labor Day smoke. All is well NO trouble at all getting the splits to flame. All I really did to get better airfolw was to remove the elbow going down to the cooking grate, and preheated the splits on top of the fire box..
Hope this helps someone with problems that I've had.
Thanks DanB

Hi Fired up the COS today for a pre Labor Day smoke. All is well NO trouble at all getting the splits to flame. All I really did to get better airfolw was to remove the elbow going down to the cooking grate, and preheated the splits on top of the fire box..
Thanks DanB
Stupidest mod ever invented, Charcoal baskets in an offset second stupidest mod ever invented, Glad your brains came in DanB:thumb:

Thanks DanB

Glad you got it figured out in time for a holiday cook!

I know you said you have "Done all the mods", but have you fashioned a gasket for the CC lid and firebox to seal up any gaps? Many times on this type of smoker, the lids don't fit well and the air flow suffers.
My offsets are sealed well and I never have a problem with them getting a good draft through the intake damper.

If you want to see where you have gaps due to poor fitting lids, after getting a fire going, close the exhaust and see where the smoke comes out.
\Some folks say gaps and leaks don't need sealed, but if they are, the smoker draws better and the temps are easier to control

Flaming Splits

Hi All I forgot to mention in last post, that I also used smaller splits.
Thanks for all your help, getting this problem sloved.
DanB

Back