Newest Old Country Pit - Smokehouse Vertical

I like verticals so the Smokehouse but O/U is KickAzz too.

Last edited:
Well..... I sold my over and under last week and jut picked up this bad boy!!! (See my next post)... Any recommendations on the seasoning process? My last pit was used, and this is my first "new" pit! Thanks.

I forgot how much a pain in the arse this website is to post pictures...

OH YA.! :thumb:
pics are EASY with photobucket. Just clean it out for metal shavings- wet paper towels or something and spray ALL cooking chamber with spray cooking oil and fire it up for a few hours.

Keep the drain open when cooking or grease pools up in the tail (pipe) and burns. The fire grate is stout but the slots are too far apart and ash will build up and choke coals out. I like water pans so i added a 4th grate.

my mods: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223711

Mine actually came with this on the bottom of the cook chamber. I am assuming this is a water pan??? Pretty heavy build:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 435
He redesigned it then - is it removable? Have a drain built in? If that removes is there a battle with drain under it.?

Cool! He added a waterpan. One of the things we talked about when I went to Laredo. :thumb:

Ya that's the same - you will probally have ash problems. Drill holes or cut more slots or cut out center and add expanded metal or make whole new expanded metal and angle iron grate.

How is the quality on the units already at academy? I visited the florence store and unfortunately they do not stock this model yet. They did have a few other old country pits but it seemed like each had some issues with rust, welds, bent metal, etc which persuaded me not to order this smoker through the academy website.

I went by my local Academy to get wood/lump for the 4th & they had a couple of the verticles in stock. They were pretty good for the money. If using in a contest, I'd say it'd be a 2 man job to move it on/off trailer - 1 man if not taking off trailer ie moving out of enclosed trailer to just sit on trailer ramp. The water pan is nice but if I use it that way, I'd probably use a disposable pan that I can just toss & not worry w/ cleanup of it. It has space enough to do at least 3 meats at once depending on how much you cook of each - I'd say easily 1 large packer, close to 2 butts or 2-3 slabs of ribs depending on type/how you lay them on the 3 shelves & still have good air flow. The "to choose from" list grows by one

Back