How do you fire an ugly drum smoker... I am A new owner!!!!!!!

If you need some taste testers I can send my son over, he is a senior at UA. Great appetite HA... Enjoy the UDS

It is pretty much a set it and forget it type of cooker. If you want to make it even easier, get a temperature controller and it is basically like setting the temperature of an oven. .

It really is - actually it's better than an oven, an oven has huge swings in temp (even professional ovens)! Check out my last brisket cook using a HeaterMeter with a MicroDamper fan system.

I put a coffee can( #10 can) in the middle of the charcoal basket. Fill up the basket all around the can. Pull the can out the basket. It will leave a hole. Dump in about 10 lit coals from a chimney, and there it is. Have the exhaust and intakes open. When temp starts to get where you want them start shutting down the intakes to stabilize the target temp. On a full basket of charcoal I could get 15 hours of cook time easy.

I'm now using a method similar to this. I was having a little trouble getting a clean fire with mine. Switched away from KBB (now using Stubbs or Royal Oak briquettes) and am focused on a small, hot fire.

I found that "dumping" a chimney of coals on top of my large basket was not small and controlled enough, leading a longer time getting a clean burn.

Very nice drum!! Heck of a deal at only $320. I really like the intake system, haven't seen that before

Wow that is a really nice one!

I don't know anything about them Paul but you ever get to Iowa I'd like to have you stop by for supper. You sure have a good heart for helping folks.

That does look like a pretty good deal, but I don't think there's enough intake or exhaust to work properly. I would add on a big ball valve on the other side and use the uprights for fine tuning. Of course I'm up at 6800' so mine needs more than near sea level.

Wow that is a really nice one!

I don't know anything about them Paul but you ever get to Iowa I'd like to have you stop by for supper. You sure have a good heart for helping folks.

Thx so much norm.... I will most defiently take you up on that.... I have a vision of one day deleviring cookers one day... Kinda like getting paid to travel and see some different places in America...

He said it will run great and I'm sure it will.. Gonna try out in a few days.... Do I need to pre season it... Or season the pit????

A quick spray with cooking spray but actually a greasy bird or fatty will suffice just fine similar to your cookers.

Here are some pics.. Heck it looks good to me and I like the intakes made the way he did them without the ball valves...

That looks like a great drum smoker. Definitely not an Ugly one!

I love how he did the intake controls. If the two intake pipes are the only intakes, the drum might "settle" into low and slow 225-250 degrees, no matter what you do. When I built my drum, that is what happened with mine until I added an extra 3/4in intake hole without the "lazy man" pipes. Once I added the unobstructed extra intake, I was able to get much higher temps.

I think you will really love the drum once you learn to get it dialed in. You will be able to cook while you are at work, without having to feed a log into the fire.

I need to add the ash catcher mod to my fire basket. i have been too lazy to do it.

that looks really nice paul.

if you get a moment, could you post a close up of the 4th picture and what he used / how he made the pieces that the grates sit on. I used the same bracket things, but just trying to get different ideas for next time.

It's difficult to tell just how large those intakes are, but I don't think he'd have a problem cooking at 275-300 if he wanted to.

Looks so nice perhaps you'll paint the Shirley you're building for yourself the same color! LOL!

Back