Well I Guess I Bought A Klose Smoker Tonight

Lucky farker doesn't even come close. Looks like you have a new toy to keep you busy while waiting on the Shirley.

yes and you did hit the nail on the head , that is why I buy a lot of used pits is to see what I can do to them to make them better and it is a fun hobby for me and the grandkids . you busted me though and that is why I bought it , lol . :heh:

Do you know if he repainted it? Thing looks new!!

Do you know if he repainted it? Thing looks new!!

yes it is repainted it , he went to paint the firebox and it did not match so he painted the whole thing which did not bother me because I use the same paint he did and there was not pitting in the outside metal . also the smoker has been garage stored .

Seems like HOA overreach to me... So no houses in his neighborhood have fireplaces? :shocked:

-John

he lives in a townhouse community and no fireplaces and every townhouse look the exact same even the color , same fence and said he was stuck in a two year lease and could not get out of it .

here is some pics I took tonight and also got my probe port drilled and mounted . I am very happy with it so far and the only rust it has is the ash tray pan in the bottom is made of real thin metal but a easy fix .

DSCF6945.jpg

DSCF6942.jpg

DSCF6944.jpg

DSCF6947.jpg

DSCF6948.jpg

DSCF6949.jpg

DSCF6953.jpg

DSCF6956.jpg

I am going to try it out Friday just the way it is and see how it preforms but tuning plates , probe port , firebricks in the bottom of the firebox might be in its future .

I've seen this mentioned before. What are the advantages of using firebricks?

since the fire box is just 1/4" metal , laying the fire bricks in the bottom make the heat radiate up and raise the wood grate a little higher to be more efficient .

Wow, BBQ Freak,

Have enough wood? Ha ha . I have also seen the pics of the wood you have organized in your garage. Amazing and very well done!

Congrats on your Klose acquisition. Love the thread. Please let us see the final modified smoker.

very nice! looks a lot like my old Texas Smokemaster. Especially the firebox. It had an angled plate at the opening between the fb and cc along with the holey tuning plates. it had pretty even temps from side to side.

very nice! looks a lot like my old Texas Smokemaster. Especially the firebox. It had an angled plate at the opening between the fb and cc along with the holey tuning plates. it had pretty even temps from side to side.

how far below the cooking grate did you have your tuning plate in that smoker ?

Can't remember exactly. Not too far as you can hopefully see in this picture. I do remember that it was even with the plate/deflector at the fb/cc opening. 20140802_122618.jpg

20140802_102801.jpg

well I got some work done tonight on the tuning plate mod and got my measurements .

this the factory plate that I had to cut partially out but saved it in case I sell it eventually and the person wants to weld it back together .

DSCF6957.jpg

DSCF6976.jpg

I had to cut the weld in the middle and was able to hammer it back into place with a rubber mallet so it is flat again .

DSCF6971.jpg

DSCF6974.jpg

cut some templates out of cardboard and figured out what I needed , 6 - 6" W X 18" L X 1/4" thick steel plates . this will allow for a 2" space below the cooking grate and more than enough air flow underneath the plates .

DSCF6962.jpg

DSCF6966.jpg

inside view how the probe port looks

DSCF6979.jpg

This cooker have temp issues or do you just like to tinker with designs?

I have never had any off-set smoker cook even from end to end without a big difference in temps and I have had a lot of them . I find it you haft to keep opening the doors and turning the meat your loosing heat so I have found making plates and spacing the end ones fixes this issue and never had a smoker that it did not improve the heat fluctuation . the answer to your question is yes I can not leave a cooker alone but I have never had to do anything to a Shirley Fabrication . :biggrin1:

I do not know why but the grease drain is 2" in diameter and had a metal end cap that had never been off and had to use a torch to get it off . it would be a mess to drain the grease with out it getting all over you so this was a must do mod since I keep mine open all the time and drain as I cook to prevent grease fires . I also added a little left over expanded metal scrap pieces to the firebox grate to help hold the smaller coals from falling through the grate and my steel tuning plates will be done Monday and will it be ready to try out next weekend .

DSCF6980.jpg

I had to buy a 2" to 1" reducer , 1" splice and a 1" control valve

DSCF6985.jpg

installed

DSCF7006.jpg

expanded metal pieces that I did not throw away from making charcoal baskets and just twisted mechanics wire to hold them in place .

DSCF6996.jpg

Nice mods. Thanks for explaining the whole thing.

not mine but the same builder. you can see the holey plates. there were 2 of them and they lined up evenly with the piece you cut out. never had to move meat around because of temp differences.

Smokmaster baffle.jpg

Back