Fire In The Valley Red Bank BBQ(non payment)

EGC71

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
We competed in this event last weekend in East Ridge Tn and didn't get paid nor our award. Now they won't return emails or answer calls. As anyone experienced a situation where you didn't get paid and what can be done about it?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
Ruh Roh...here we go again.

EGC71, I sure hope you get paid.

This has happened before...unfortunately...sorry for your hassle Brother! I still don't see how this is even possible...doesn't KCBS (or whomever) require the prize money in advance?

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
No, just their fees.
Actually....KCBS only requires a $350 deposit to sanction a contest and they were ripped off for the balance as we were that cooked the event and didn't get the prize money.

The reps also got ripped off as they didn't get their travel expenses reimbursed.

This is frustrating that KCBS doesn't have a guarantee of funds protocol.....

On a side note what happened to "Smoke on This" Pork entry they look like they were headed for a 700+

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
Said his clock was 2-3 minutes off the official clock the reps had and missed the turn in window by 13 seconds (something like that):frown:

The organizer (Callie) that was involved in the car wreck is not doing very well. They were supposed to appoint a new board member last week and mail checks out ASAP. This is coming from Callie's husband. We are waiting on a check as well.

update... article coming out in chattanooga free press tomorrow regarding this....

Last edited:
I don't do comps. but live 30 minutes away. Never knew about this cook or I would have attended.
If this was a public event then Advertising has an issue also.
Red Bank loves to write speeding tickets also. Most locals avoided Red Bank for several years due to their Red Light Cameras.

We cooked the contest also. No money as of yet. In conversation before the cooks meeting I told people that this contest had all the markings of an event that wouldn't pay the purse. Most disagreed until during the cooks meeting the organizer said the checks would be mailed because they were a non profit and couldn't write checks on site. Seems like BS to me. I'm not holding my breath waiting for it, but I'm still going to try to remain positive. Off to Barbourville KY this weekend where they raised their purse and have a history of paying. By the way, they could use a few more teams!!!

We cooked the contest also. No money as of yet. In conversation before the cooks meeting I told people that this contest had all the markings of an event that wouldn't pay the purse. Most disagreed until during the cooks meeting the organizer said the checks would be mailed because they were a non profit and couldn't write checks on site. Seems like BS to me. I'm not holding my breath waiting for it, but I'm still going to try to remain positive. Off to Barbourville KY this weekend where they raised their purse and have a history of paying. By the way, they could use a few more teams!!!

Yep... that was just a lie.

From their FB page...
Derek Sheats
Derek Sheats When will checks be mailed out to the winners? There have been calls made and emails sent with no response.
Like · Reply · 2 · 13 hrs
Patrick Banks
Patrick Banks Nothing here either!
Like · Reply · 1 hr
Derek Sheats
Derek Sheats I heard from KCBS today and they said they have been in touch with Ed Lacompte, Callie's husband. He assured them they were sending checks out.
Like · Reply · 42 mins
Patrick Banks
Patrick Banks I heard the same thing. We shall see!
Like · Reply · 13 mins

Just got an email with an explanation and a w-9. The organizer was planning on handing out the w-9's at awards and mailing checks at the first of the week. With her wreck, neither happened. Hopefully this is on the up and up and once they get w-9's in hand they'll mail some checks. Our IOU is $1375.00. That'll be a hit if we don't get it!

Just got an email with an explanation and a w-9. The organizer was planning on handing out the w-9's at awards and mailing checks at the first of the week. With her wreck, neither happened. Hopefully this is on the up and up and once they get w-9's in hand they'll mail some checks. Our IOU is $1375.00. That'll be a hit if we don't get it!

They were supposed to elect a new treasurer last Thursday... at least that's what Ed said last week. We could have printed our own W9's and sent in... again... just another stall tactic... How many W9's will they claim the USPS lost or they didn't get the fax? My main question is why is Callie's husband, Ed, having to do all the leg work when he isn't involved. Eric (called out awards) should be the one handling this since he is the CEO of the Red Bank foundation.

I spoke with the KCBS office yesterday and they have been in contact with Ed. She told me that Ed had no idea of the results and didn't know who to pay. Again, where is Eric in helping to resolve this?

Back