The Valley Experience Part 3: The Bloom (briskets, pretty women, apple pie, fried morels, and a keg in a stroller)

ShencoSmoke

is Blowin Smoke!
In part 1 and part 2 I documented my experiences in the west wide and the east side of the Shenandoah Valley. This past weekend my family attended the famous Apple Blossom Festival in Winchester, Virginia which is located at the very north part of the Valley. Before I go much further let me state that this one got sideways in a hurry. The apple blossom festival is known for being a week long party and my hat is off for those that can partake in the festivities for a week. I was not able to last 24 hours. I believe the best way to provide the details of my 24 hour experience is chronologically, so here it goes.

Saturday 2:30 AM- Out of bed to fire up the UDS for a hot and fast brisket cook (two 13 pounders). The briskets were going to be served later in the day at one of the many parties on the agenda. Briskets went on at 3:15 am and I took them off at about 10:30 AM. I vented them,wrapped them up tight, stuck um in the cooler and off we went.
brisket 2.JPG
brisket3.JPG

Saturday 1 PM- We arrived at the parade and immediately started enjoying beverages (steadily, not heavily). We were lucky enough to be invited to this house to watch the parade. The kids loved it of course. I gave the first quart of apple pie (made with legal liquor of course:wink:) to the host.
house.JPG
crowd.JPG
kids.JPG

Saturday 5 pm- After stopping by a few other parties, we headed back to our friends house to set up for the after party. One of my friends brought some morels. He fried them up with some Autry's Medium Hot. Unfarking believable how good they were.
shroom1.jpg
shroom2.JPG
Here's where it started to get sideways. I had planned on multiple brisket slicing pictures. Well, that never happened. As soon as I opened the cooler I was attacked, both briskets were gone almost immediately. I don't know if was the alcohol or what but people had brisket fat running down their shirts, women were asking for my number (that's a lie), and I didn't even get a chance to take my gloves off to take a picture.

Saturday 6 pm- The second quart made an appearance. Here is my wife and her crazy (in a good way) friends.
pie.JPG
ladies.JPG

Saturday 9 pm- Flip cup, and the downhill spiral continued
flip cup.JPG

Saturday 11 pm- We drank 1 1/2 kegs at that point and thought it would be a great idea to take the 1/2 full keg to the after party, which happened to be about 12 blocks away. So in the stroller went the keg and off we went. There were 2 times when the keg fell out and rolled across the road, and one near disaster with a City police officer. But we made it.

Sunday 2:30 AM- There were a few more pictures, probably not suitable for qtalk. But I might be talked in to posting a few in the woodpile.

Thanks for looking.

I gotta come back when I'm not at work and take a leisurely stroll through these threads - the Shenandoah Valley is the most beautiful place on Earth IMO. My people are from Buchanan - I love it around there!

I gotta come back when I'm not at work and take a leisurely stroll through these threads - the Shenandoah Valley is the most beautiful place on Earth IMO. My people are from Buchanan - I love it around there!

I agree with you although there are still parts of the country I haven't visited. I was in NC for 12 years and when I moved back it was an eye opener. When I was younger I didn't appreciate it as much as I do now.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
That looks like my kind of party, 'cept we don't dress as fancy. While I like apple pie at my buddy's 40th birthday party last year someone introduced me to peach pie. We made some at home, but need to increase the amount of liquor in it to cut some of the sweetness out.

Looks like a mighty fine time was had by all.

I'm familar with apple pie but will have to check out peach pie. Anybody got some recipes?

Back