Valet parking at a BBQ joint...only in L.A.

Sauce Dog

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Wes
My buddy and I went to a BBQ place the other day on Ventura, which had some decent hype (Barrel & Ash). First thing I noticed was the valet parking, at which point we should have turned around there. I'll pause here and say this, I'm not often one to sh*t talk a restaurant, if I don't like it I just don't go back. I also don't own a restaurant, but have worked in them all my career, so know what to expect. In the case here, I even tried to check my "bbq snob" at the door.

We bellied up to the bar, ordered a beer and looked over the menu. Upon asking what the house specialty is, both bartenders highly recommended the brisket ($19 for 1/2 lb, no sides) and smoked wings, and then pretty much everything else on the menu. I then asked about the sauce situation since there was none on the tables, but just got a blank stare. I dug deeper, and asked if the meat can be served dry, what do they mean by "Carolina style sauce", etc. With no further help, we dove into the menu. We ordered brisket, pulled pork, wings, greens, hush puppies and the hoe cake.

The wings were the best part of the meal, followed by the hoe cake. The pork was complete mush, greens uber sweet, and the brisket...well, let's talk about the brisket. There were 4 slices, 2 thin & 2 thick. We each took a bite of the thin pieces and both of us cringed...insanely salty (and I enjoy salt). We forced another bite to finish the piece, but made the hard decision to send it back. After a quick apology, and a few minutes, someone brought back the dish...WITH THE SAME PIECES!! The exception was that the crust had been removed, and it was accompanied by a couple of tiny shavings of bark from another piece. We considered not saying anything, but it had to be done so we called them out on it. The bartender then said, "Yeah, the chef said they're too salty so they cut off the crust". I said, "Yeah, we know". And, that was the end of it. No new pieces, no manager follow-up, no discount (though to be fair she did send us a dessert), and worst of all - no attached bark. We were just dumbfounded, and certainly didn't want another salty piece, so just chalked it off to experience and ate our "roast beef".

The irony is that they auto-gratuity for everyone, and they split the tip pool with the back of the house. Basically, this system allows the owners to not have to pay a decent wage to the cooks (if they didn't want to), and simultaneously discourages a higher level of service (and food knowledge) for front of house staff, since they are essentially getting paid hourly. Yet, even for L.A. the prices were insanely high, service was mediocre (I'm being generous), management non-existent, kitchen integrity insulting, food quality - POOR...well, you get the point. Basically, nobody there gave a fark, so we paid our $100 and left.

Sorry if this thread comes across as negative, that's not my intent. I originally wasn't going to post it at all, but in actuality I feel obligated to. Not for the sake of the restaurant, I won't go back and will steer away others who ask about it. But for the sake of those Brethren, who like me, try to hold back their standards too much at times when dining. Being a lifer in the industry, I'm acutely conscience of the operations when I'm dining, and sometimes it's actually hard to enjoy the experience without taking a step back and relaxing. That said, this was a prime example of why we should maintain and demand those standards be met. Restaurant operations and food costs are expensive, but there's still parameters they need to keep the prices within. So, when they are at the top of the charts, then our expectations and standards should be as well. And we, as consumers, should demand that without reservations. It keeps them honest, and denies them the ability to dupe us out of money more than once. The BBQ trend is still going strong, which I think is great, but not everyone out there knows the difference between good and bad BBQ. Therefore, as Brethren, I think it's up to us who have the knowledge, experience, and taste buds for great Que to help others understand what it can, and should taste like, because who else is going to? In the end, we all win.

Rant over...thanks for listening, and keep those standards high!

It is hard to imagine that a restaurant can get brisket to be too salty. Large cuts of beef take so well to salt, I mean, you can practically cook them in salt and have them come out decent. But, to me, the larger issue is it sounds like this restaurant simply is not being run well. The valet parking would mean nothing to me, since often it is such a convenience, who knows why they have it. But, bad food and worse, indifferent servers, that is a sign of poor management.

We have a move here, a few places are trying out, of no tips. Not an auto-gratuity, just no tips. Prices were raised to reflect everyone getting paid what will eventually be the new minimum wage (between $12 and $15 per hour). To some degree, this makes things more equal. However, we shall see how service goes. I suspect it will remain good in restaurants that are well run, and bad in those that it is already bad. I see the auto-gratuity happening more and more out here, although, to be fair, since I know more owners than servers, many owners note that tips are down, and many people are now leaving very small tips. Several bartenders I have talked with noted that same thing, that over the past couple of years, tips have gone down.

Still, it has been my policy to let owners and managers know when the food or service sucked. I let them know directly, not by Yelp or review. I make it a point to ask at that point, for the manager.

If you're in LA again try heading over to Baby Blues BBQ in West Hollywood, they have excellent standards like brisket, beef and pork ribs and pork shoulder as well as specialties like tiger prawns and tri-tip. I spent five days in LA and went there three times it was so good.

If you're interested you see the pron and read about my visits here: http://tmblr.co/ZnY24tkAvqms and http://tmblr.co/ZnY24tkLtbJ1 and http://tmblr.co/ZnY24tmNmCKf they've also got an outlet in Venice Beach.

tumblr_mm9gkfzcwZ1s5phvmo3_500.jpg

The cornbread and banana pudding are astounding, don't go without trying them!

Landarc well said. I agree that a brisket is pretty hard to over salt that much. Don't know how they managed that. I usually do speak to a manager, and in this case saw he was expo during the situation, so there was clearly no point. It was already a lost cause.

I'm curious to see what happens with the higher min. wage for hourly employees. Most of the restaurants I've worked in over the years already pay back of the house staff more that $12/hr (at least the cooks), though I've never worked in a BBQ joint. I know there's all types of systems to pay a staff, I just don't like seeing cheap owners pulling money from other staff members' pockets to do it. This situation was certainly different than a traditional tip pool, where staff shares in mutual responsibilities. Should be interesting to see the shakeups in the industry, though, and I think you nailed it with the potential service disparities. Most servers make more money now than they will with an hourly pay. Even the number of hours in a typical shift will be a factor. I do think the concept of tipping in the restaurant industry is a complicated convo, definitely many facets.

Gary haven't checked out Baby Blues, but it's on the list. Thanks for the heads up! Really excited to try Bigmista's also, I think it's about an hour away.

Wow, speak of the devil! Hi Bigmista, I see you posted while I'm finishing typing. I've heard a lot of wonderful praise about your BBQ grub and am hoping to get down there soon. Looking forward to meeting you as well.

-Cheers

No offense my brother but you farked up going for q on Ventura. Ventura and bbq are like oil and water. They just don't mix. Beautiful girls? Yes, Wannabe actors and actresses? Yes, Hipsters? yes, Hookah bars? Mediterranean restaurants? Lounges? Yes, Some decent sushi places? Yes/Maybe lol. You get the point.

I've been to Dr. Hoggly Woggly's Tyler, TX BBQ, The Bear Pit, Lucille's etc. and haven't been impressed.

Newish (a few years now) joint I want to check out is Cooking with Lenny or Lenny's BBQ in Chatsworth IIRC. Yet to try the place but a few friends that know decent q say by far Lenny's is it for q out here (SF Valley area).

P.S. Heard a lot of great things about Bloodso's in Compton.

And Bigmista's new joint in L.B. Can't bet any better in bbq knowing a brethren is doing it and you know he's doing it right.

wonder how long until this post is moved to the right area lol

Haha! I'm actually not on a road trip, unless 5 minutes from my house counts. I was initially confused by your quote as to where the thread would be moved, and in fact I didn't even know about this section. Looks like a great resource.

I guess this is a good place for the thread to be parked for future visitors to the L.A. area.

-Cheers

No offense my brother but you farked up going for q on Ventura. Ventura and bbq are like oil and water. They just don't mix. Beautiful girls? Yes, Wannabe actors and actresses? Yes, Hipsters? yes, Hookah bars? Mediterranean restaurants? Lounges? Yes, Some decent sushi places? Yes/Maybe lol. You get the point.

I've been to Dr. Hoggly Woggly's Tyler, TX BBQ, The Bear Pit, Lucille's etc. and haven't been impressed.

Newish (a few years now) joint I want to check out is Cooking with Lenny or Lenny's BBQ in Chatsworth IIRC. Yet to try the place but a few friends that know decent q say by far Lenny's is it for q out here (SF Valley area).

P.S. Heard a lot of great things about Bloodso's in Compton.

None taken! A buddy had been dying to go, and it's near my house. I actually hit up Bludso's last week. It was pretty solid, I'd certainly go back. Though, I did take note of the counter to ceiling bullet proof glass at the order window. Otherwise I've tried The Bear Pit & Mom's, & my wife said to avoid Lucille's at all costs. I've also hit Smoke City Mkt., but I want to give them another shot. Haven't heard of Lenny's, I'll have to check it out for sure, thanks!

Though, I did take note of the counter to ceiling bullet proof glass at the order window

Lol, It's Compton after all. We do lack good q out here. IMO there is just not a good market base for it. People just don't know.

I've tried several spots around the L.A. area and the only ones I would return to so far is Bigmista's (love that stuff!) and Bludso's. Smoke City Market was just OK (their links are what I liked, didn't really dig their other stuff), Pecos Bill's is kinda weird, albeit a cool little spot and nice folks- actually OK for a cheap sammich but avoid the sauce at all costs. Swinging Door just blows and Dr. Hogly Wogly should be sued for malpractice. There's a place called The Hollywood Way in Burbank that isn't a BBQ place, but they do have a few BBQ items on the menu. It's not too bad, but the main attraction is the service staff - absolutely delicious!

For folks who don't want to go to Compton (it's really not bad around the restaurant) there's a Bludso's in West Hollywood that's got a sports bar vibe with lots of different beers and good BBQ.

Haven't tried Baby Blues or Handy Market on Saturday mornings yet. I've heard good things about Mr. Cecil's ribs but haven't tried them. Haven't checked out Horse Thief yet either.

Well this is the price we pay when we become pitmasters... BBQ at restaurants is never as good as you can make it.

Haven't been to Bigmista's but my go to spot is Bludso's Hwood and Baby Blues. Barrel and Ashes actually has a great fried chicken sandwich, wings, and that hoecake is amazing (I'm still trying to replicate it at home).

PS- of course the best BBQ in LA happens when APL comes into town. I've been both years and it was fantastic (I can post some pr0n if anyone is interested). I belive he mentioned possibly opening up a BBQ/Butchery concept restaurant here in LA

Haha! I'm actually not on a road trip, unless 5 minutes from my house counts. I was initially confused by your quote as to where the thread would be moved, and in fact I didn't even know about this section. Looks like a great resource.
-Cheers

lol yea i posted a thread just like this about a place i had eaten...also not a road trip....down the street lol....but it was moved too

I think the real complaint here, was about the service. Anyone can produce bad food on a given night, even the idea that one bad brisket, but, to send out the same piece of meat? To have servers that don't know the menu? The real issues that I saw were of a complete breakdown of professionalism at the point of service.

To be honest, even the fact that you get different thickness of meat, reflects on a lack of care in the kitchen, front of house and even the bar. I mean, how can you miss on every point?

As an aside, and others may chime in here, but, when I worked in a kitchen, when we had new staff, we cooked the menu, and everyone ate everything. The point was that each person on staff was expected to know what was on the menu, what everything tasted like, what might be something they would recommend etc...we only had three cooks, and it was a pain to do in a 20 minute window before opening while also doing mis. But, it was what had to be done so everyone was on the same page. As cooks, we ate and tasted everything, everyday, even if you spit the food, you never served something that was inedibly salty.

Ah, I forgot about The Pit. I haven't actually been, but my family has, they live in Durham. I was told it was pretty good. I usually end up going to Allen & Son in Chapel Hill when there. Another good spot is Ed Mitchell's new digs, Que in Durham. I was very impressed, think I tried everything on the menu lol!

As an aside, and others may chime in here, but, when I worked in a kitchen, when we had new staff, we cooked the menu, and everyone ate everything. The point was that each person on staff was expected to know what was on the menu, what everything tasted like, what might be something they would recommend etc...we only had three cooks, and it was a pain to do in a 20 minute window before opening while also doing mis. But, it was what had to be done so everyone was on the same page. As cooks, we ate and tasted everything, everyday, even if you spit the food, you never served something that was inedibly salty.

This has also been my experience in most restaurants I've worked in. It shows the place genuinely cares about the guests' experiences...aka hospitality :biggrin1:

Back