Say Cheese!

Smoking Piney

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
It was a perfect day to cold smoke some cheese. I put 23 pieces on the Assassin with the AMNPS using BBQrs' Delight Savory Herb pellets - oak wood, oregano, rosemary, and thyme.

They smoked for 3 hours and are resting in the cool breeze before I vac seal them tonight. They should be ready to eat by Christmas and will make a few presents.

Very Nice. I like to do smoked cheese in the cold weather as well. Those herb pellets look very interesting indeed. Could you taste any noticeable flavor difference from the herb smoke?

I love the Italian spice pellets from Todd on cheese and salmon.

Last edited:
Very Nice. I like to do smoked cheese in the cold weather as well. Those herb pellets look very interesting indeed. Could you taste any noticeable flavor difference from the herb smoke?

I won't get a taste for about 3 weeks - have to let the cheese mellow a bit.

So what temp did you have in the smoker ??

The smoker never got above 55 degrees. I put a small pizza stone on the bottom grate over the AMNPS to deflect the small amount of heat coming from the pellets.

Man, I learn something new here everyday! I didn't know about the amnps or how to cold smoke cheese but this seems very easy! Now I have to order one and try this. What kind of cheeses did you use??? I am going broke!

Edit: nice smoker! It is on my short list in the next 20 years after a SF :)

Since I have never done this, where do you put the cheese for 3 weeks? Refrigerator? Freezer? On the counter? Basement? And how do you seal it?

Once the cheese leaves the smoker, I let it rest in a cool place (fridge or outside if it's cool) to let the smoke set a bit.

Then I vac seal it and put it in the fridge to mellow a few weeks. If you eat it right away, it tastes like a nasty ash tray.

Thanks for the reminder. Shoprite has a great sale this week on their store brand cheeses. Time to load up and get smokin' so Santa's cheese will be properly aged and mellowed. First year I smoked cheese I left him some I smoked the day before....he's still giving me crap about it....

Nice selection of cheese there Smoking Piney

Thanks for the reminder. Shoprite has a great sale this week on their store brand cheeses. Time to load up and get smokin' so Santa's cheese will be properly aged and mellowed. First year I smoked cheese I left him some I smoked the day before....he's still giving me crap about it....

LOL.... That's funny... I bet the thought of; thinking you liked an ashtray comes to mind... LOL

We've all been there and done that. :doh:

Back