Christmas Porchetta

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I caught an episode of America’s Test Kitchen on PBS several weeks ago, where they used the from 1/3 or so of a Boston butt to do a spin on Italian Porchetta. This section of the butt is where the “coppa” or money muscle is located. I recently picked up the 2023 version of their cookbook to replace my 2017 version, which I gave away to someone, so this recipe was in the book.

The basic idea is you mix an herb slather onto the pork, roast it in the oven, and then finish at high heat to develop a crust. Their version of this recipe uses baking powder to aid in the browning. I made this recipe as a test last week for just us, and it was delicious. Tomorrow we are doing the last of our family Christmas celebrations so I decided to make it, since it passed the test.

Tonight I cut the front off two butts, each piece weighed about 2.75lbs. Cross hatches on the fat, which I will later truss the roasts and cook fat cap up.

They recommended cutting slits into the side to get herbs and seasoning into for added flavor.

A mix of fresh rosemary, thyme, and garlic, as well as some fennel seed i coarsely ground. Olive oil and salt. I’m not a huge fan of whole fennel seed but I do like the flavor it adds when pulverized a bit.

Seasoned then tightly wrapped in plastic.

To be continued…

Last edited:
Well considering this was made using a Boston Butt that….has no skin. I’ll let you figure that one out for yourself.
So not Porchetta.... Figured out......

That said, its a nice Christmas Pork Loin.

Last edited:
Except………it isn’t the Loin. ����

SudsandSwine: Looks Great. I saw an episode of the show where they did that dish and have been wanting to try it. Now I know I will.

That definitely looks like something I would enjoy, and go back for seconds. Nicely done!

Back