Using drippings from pulled pork cook (?)

Junebo

Reaction score
I was hoping to pick the minds of the Brethren on using drippings for/from a pulled pork cook. I am already using an aluminum tray with some water. If I am only cooking at 275 I'm reluctant to use the caught drippings. Should they be boiled down first ? What do you do for this ?
All info and input appreciated.
Thanks !

you can skim fat and than use it in mop sauces, bbq sauces, make gravy (don't skim fat for gravy). I like to pan of beans under pork and catch drippings in beans

I use the drippings all the time. put them in a bowl or jar and put the jar in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. The fat should separate and solidify at the top. Skim off the fat and you have some tasty goodness left over. I like to mix it back into my pulled pork.

If you think there's a lot of water in it you can boil off the water in a few minutes. The longer you reduce it, the more intense it will be.

This is a timely question as I had wondered the same.

Saturday, I did as others said, de-greased, then boiled off some water, and put in fridge.

Sunday night, used dripping to flavor a cream gravy, which I poured over the pulled pork. Note, had to use butter to make roux for making gravy, since I had de-greased.

I was struck at how different the pork tasted with cream gravy over it, versus a KC-type sauce, or a carolina mustard sauce. Quite tasty, but "milder" than with other sauces.

I use the drippings all the time. put them in a bowl or jar and put the jar in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. The fat should separate and solidify at the top. Skim off the fat and you have some tasty goodness left over. I like to mix it back into my pulled pork.

If you think there's a lot of water in it you can boil off the water in a few minutes. The longer you reduce it, the more intense it will be.
+1

I like to mix it back in with the pulled pork too.

Yeah, I never have any left over as it goes back into my pulled pork. I don't remove the fat either...

+2

Totally safe to use the drippings. I always make a finishing sauce for my pork with it. Just mix some into your favorite sauce with some apple cider vinegar and toss it. I also mix in a little extra rub as well.

I must be the odd man out here... I toss the drippings, after 12 hours or so in the smoker my drip pan is mostly fat. But I do use the foil juices: de-fatted and mixed into a sauce, or de-fatted and drizzled back over the pulled meat.

I allow the drippings to hit my difussor plate and condensate creating natural moisture within the cook chamber. This keeps the meat moist during the cook and without the need of a water pan.

I freeze them then use them as "stock" in stews. Brisket drippings will elevate your chili to the next level.

Back