BBQ Food Truck Business???

Sean "Puffy" Coals

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Alright, so I work with a couple guys who have a ton of experience in the restaurant management business. We were talking the one day about our disdain for working in a retail grocery store and all the BS we have to deal with from all sides and we came to the realization that our employment situations aren't going to get any better unless we are the ones in charge.

We decided that opening a food truck would be a good entry point into owning our own brick & mortar restaurant some day.

The basis for the menu is going to be my BBQ, which everyone raves about at work, but done in a unique way.

My question is- how do you make money selling food that takes 8+ hrs to cook and shrinks to 50% of it's uncooked weight?

I know there are quite a few Brethren who own restaurants and trucks, so any info/advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Beer.

BBQ is expensive, for many reasons.
1. It's mostly meat, so your 'per plate' costs are higher

2. Your cooking loss represents a higher percentage of your ingredient costs (50% loss on most expensive ingredients).

3.Your labor costs are going to be higher, as you will be cooking longer.

So, how do folks do it?

One, they reduce labor costs by buy9ing programmable smokers that do not run on wood or charcoal. They skimp, either on meat grade or amount to make things work out, sandwiches are great for this. Three to four ounces of meat on a plate looks like nothing, between a bun, it suddenly looks perfect. Great sides, the more folks go for your sides, the less they need/want to be satisfied with the meal, and BBQ sides, such as beans, slaw and such are easily made for 20% food costs. Sauce is another place you can make back some money, you make sauce sales to maintain margin.

And beer. Really. You can actually break even on food, if you maintain beer and soda sales. Ice tea is a huge profit center as well.

Yea, I kinda figured that it would be next to impossible to survive on serving traditional BBQ on a plate because I'd either have to charge so much that I wouldn't get any business or that I'd have to go the other way and serve ridiculously small portions.

I came up with the idea of doing a rotating menu of 1 "traditional" bbq meat along with other stuff like brisket chili, pulled pork pot stickers, BBQ burritos and a couple sides like fresh cut fries, maybe potato salad or something.

Drinks are a huge opportunity too. Most trucks in buffalo sell cans of soda for $1.50, but cost is only about 40 cents per unit.

Selling sauce is something I hadn't thought about. I did think about selling merch, tho, like hats and t-shirts, maybe bumper stickers.

Sean,

Landarc is right on the money......

Maybe a concern of yours might be that since the steel mills closed years ago, Buffalo has remained in a depressed economy compared to the surrounding areas. But as a past resident, I was always willing to pay a higher price for "Quality" food. The "Quality" always kept people coming back time after time.

No matter how you start, it takes time for people to find that you exist and occasionally visit a few times before they become somewhat regulars.

I would suggest "Quality" and great "Customer Service" as a key to success. But success doesn't always come quickly enough. People will pay a higher price for quality food as long as they know their business is appreciated.

On a parallel note here, I own a small company with 4 employees, and although I am a legally incorporated and registered business, I do not have a listed phone number, and I have never paid for advertising, not even the phone books. All my business comes from satisfied customer referrals, nothing else. I have consistently been booked over 60 days in advance for the past 5 years. Sometimes I even have to work the weekends to accommodate emergency sales needs, but that's part of customer service. A happy customer will provide more for you than you could ever imagine.

If you could get into the Erie County Parks Commission Vendors list, you can vend for many of the large events they have.

If I wanted to test out my cooking skills for BBQ, I'd be much more inclined to start a catering business. I'm not sure how your local laws are, but you may be able to get away with cooking at home if your business is low-ish volume. Starting a food truck would likely cost almost as much as opening a small restaurant in an existing space.

Beside lower up front cost, the catering also means you're only cooking food and using labor when you have guaranteed income. You can still get a tent at local events as well. In terms of customers, you get to touch a lot, especially those that may not be seeking you out since a lot of catering for groups is chosen by someone outside of it.

And the best thing about catering is it's an easy transition into a restaurant space. Once it's time, you've got somewhat consistent revenue which can make signing that lease a little less scary.

I came up with the idea of doing a rotating menu of 1 "traditional" bbq meat along with other stuff like brisket chili, pulled pork pot stickers, BBQ burritos and a couple sides like fresh cut fries, maybe potato salad or something...
The other guys that are currently in the business can chime in here. I don't like this idea and the primary reason is that restaurants primarily build business with repeat customers, and those customers will develop favorite items, which they will want over and over. To that end, if you are going to be a BBQ place, seriously consider the fact that if you do something well, and have great customer service, you can charge a bit more. I know nothing of where you are located, in terms of business. But, Madman is right, a great product and great service is the best hook in any business.

Setup your meats as plates and sandwiches, give people a lower cost, but, smaller option if they need that, they can go for it. But, offer your best and core products everyday. Restaurant owners often fall into the trap of trying to be everything to everybody, better model, follow your core competency, sell as much of what you do best, as often as you can.

And fries, sell fries :becky: (I'm kidding)

I don't know squat about running a Food truck however, the "BBQ" trucks I've seen all have very unique and non-traditional offerings. Get creative, something to make you stand out from the crowd. Good luck!

The other guys that are currently in the business can chime in here. I don't like this idea and the primary reason is that restaurants primarily build business with repeat customers, and those customers will develop favorite items, which they will want over and over. To that end, if you are going to be a BBQ place, seriously consider the fact that if you do something well, and have great customer service, you can charge a bit more. I know nothing of where you are located, in terms of business. But, Madman is right, a great product and great service is the best hook in any business.

Setup your meats as plates and sandwiches, give people a lower cost, but, smaller option if they need that, they can go for it. But, offer your best and core products everyday. Restaurant owners often fall into the trap of trying to be everything to everybody, better model, follow your core competency, sell as much of what you do best, as often as you can.

And fries, sell fries :becky: (I'm kidding)

The whole idea of the rotating menu stems from the fact that you can't really fit a whole lot of ingredients on a truck to make a big variety of different dishes. Each truck may only serve a total of 10-12 different items; 4-5 entrees, a couple sides and a few different drinks.

One way that other trucks in the area get around this restriction is to occasionally swap menu items in and out in order to have a variety of different dishes to keep their menu fresh and keep people from getting bored of the same 5 items.

Now I enjoy BBQ just as much as the next guy, but if one truck was the closest lunch option for me, I would get sick of eating the same BBQ, as great as it may be, 5x per week.

Maybe only having one traditional BBQ plate isn't enough, but I do think swapping things out from time to time will help give me a bit of an edge. If I go with a full traditional menu- Ribs, Brisket, Pulled Pork and Chicken- that's all ill be able to serve not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'd like to do something a little more creative and different.

I get the idea of do what you do best and understand the importance of giving good customer service as I've been working in it for the past 18 years. I was just thinking that the rotating menu would give me a little more of a creative edge over the competition while helping out my bottom line as well.

This is also why I plan on taking the first couple months to really dial in my menu and see what people really want. After that period, I may be forced to abandon the whole rotating menu entirely, but I think it is worth pursuing.

Anyway, I really appreciate all the advice and tips guys! Thanks again and keep 'em coming!

For profit and ease of variety sandwiches would be great. Pulled/chopped, bbq beef, pork, and chicken. Variety could be in sauce and toppings or types of buns. I think traditional fare would work better if it were a parked food truck in a consistent location with maybe a tour of local festivals to spread the name.

I don't really know though, this is all just irresponsible speculation on my part but we're brain storming here, right?

For profit and ease of variety sandwiches would be great. Pulled/chopped, bbq beef, pork, and chicken. Variety could be in sauce and toppings or types of buns. I think traditional fare would work better if it were a parked food truck in a consistent location with maybe a tour of local festivals to spread the name.

I don't really know though, this is all just irresponsible speculation on my part but we're brain storming here, right?

Right! Good idea!

Got it. Understood.

One of the food truck discussions that is becoming more common out here, is about the 'special' and 'extreme' offerings on food trucks, and whether these are sustainable for food trucks that wish to be stand-alone businesses. Is it better to actually produce 4 to 5 great items, or to keep having to top what you are doing with something more. Is a great pork belly bun going to hack it, does a food truck always have to do something more? I don't have the answer.

My take on some of this, for a while, the rage out here was anything stuffed with pork belly, then anything wrapped with bacon, then anything deep fried...the BBQ trucks out here are the most abysmal food trucks of them all, horrible BBQ, miniscule portions, very high prices. I have gotten to where I almost never eat off a food truck anymore.

I might not be the normal customer, but, sell me a decent bun, with 4 ounces of good BBQ, maybe a disher of slaw on top for $7 and I will come back, I have yet to see anything close to that

Work your tail off, buy good food. And be consistent. We do rotating specials every week to get people coming back for new stuff. We only set the trailer up to public sales on Friday nights. We do catering the rest of the week.

I might not be the normal customer, but, sell me a decent bun, with 4 ounces of good BBQ, maybe a disher of slaw on top for $7 and I will come back, I have yet to see anything close to that

Apparently you havent been to my trailer. We sell 5 oz pulled pork deluxe with home smoked bacon and home made slaw on top for 6 bucks. Usually sell 100 or so in 3 hours on friday nights.

I have a couple of friends that compete seriously and have been successful, and one of them owned a BBQ business for a few years, but out the overhead and stress just became too much. Like you said, BBQ is not like cheap fast food...that is some expensive meat and time put into cooking that meat to not sell at the end of the day. Plus, while some areas can sustain multiple BBQ joints, some areas just can't for whatever reasons. It was taking the joy of cooking out of my buddy, so what he does now is just catering the occasional event, such as weddings, reunions, and, jubilees, and car shows. He gets to make money, share his food, and then go home without the restaurant worries he used to have.

A food truck seems like a great "middle ground" for hobby and restaurant. If you live in an area where a food truck can make enough to sustain a living, I say go for it. Unfortunately, I live in an area where food truck are not a common thing. We have started having monthly food truck "gatherings", but it still is not a daily business in which somebody could making a living.

Apparently you havent been to my trailer. We sell 5 oz pulled pork deluxe with home smoked bacon and home made slaw on top for 6 bucks. Usually sell 100 or so in 3 hours on friday nights.

No wonder why. That sounds killer

But I have been told by many never turn a passion into a job. The fun disappears really quickly if unsuccessful.

Just thinking about this question though and how it would work in my area..
I think a truck (or trailer) setup would be best suited to late hours on a Thursday Friday and Saturday night..
Everyone is boozy, walking between venues and if anything like me woukd love nothing more than how'n down a mean pulled pork roll..
Especially if it's in my travels...
The downfall with that is you miss out on all the fun..
We have a spud train which operates during these times and does ok.. There downfall is location, they are on the outter ring of the central hub for our town..
No big issue if you want a spud, but you wouldn't walk 200m drunk out of your way to get one..

Last edited:
BBQ Cowboy in Louisville, KY

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/51/1556164/restaurant/Jeffersontown/The-BBQ-Cowboy-Louisville

Food trucks are taking off in Louisville. We have BBQ, Korean, and Mexican food trucks within 20 minutes most days.

Check out Holy Smokes BBQ Cowboy. His plates are $6 and you get about 6-8 oz. chopped pork on a tortilla with a smoked hotdog or hamburger. Also sells brisket and ribs until he runs out. He caters events and large business parties.

Hope this helps and good luck with your venture!

Mike

BBQ Cowboy in Louisville, KY

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/51/1556164/restaurant/Jeffersontown/The-BBQ-Cowboy-Louisville

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/bbqcowboy

Food trucks are taking off in Louisville. We have BBQ, Korean, and Mexican food trucks within 20 minutes most days.

Check out Holy Smokes BBQ Cowboy. His plates are $6 and you get about 6-8 oz. chopped pork on a tortilla with a smoked hotdog or hamburger. Also sells brisket and ribs until he runs out. He caters events and large business parties.

Hope this helps and good luck with your venture!

Mike

Logo2_zps837a3689.jpg

Logo1_zps3cb4235d.jpg

blackt_zps6a45f80d.jpg

oranget_zpse3b4fd6b.jpg

Just a couple ideas I've been working on.

Back