Mayo over chicken

cmwr

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I am going to smoke a couple birds for supper. This is last minute and I do not feel like injecting or brining. I remember hearing on here somewhere about mixing your favorite rub in with 1 cup of mayonaisse and brushing it all over the bird. How does this turn out? Will the bird stay juicy? And should you season the skin under and on top before you coat with mayo?

Never done it with mayo. My go to recipe is to melt a stick of butter and mix in seasoning salt or favorite rub and use it to baste the chicken at the beginning o the cook and once more about half way through. The skin comes out great for us.

Ok I will consider this. I believe Bludawg told me once he used mayo and it was the bomb. I have never tried it.

I've done it but it doesn't do anything special for me..and i do lots and lots of birds.

My simple go2 is a light coating of olive oil, rub...inject if i feel like it.

That is how I doo all mine
DSCF0124-1.jpg

DSCF0130.jpg

Any Questions??

I did it last week for my first successful chicken cook on my WSM. I brushed mayo on the skin and seasoned it. Cooked without water pan over high heat. Skin came out crispy and the chicken was great.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185849&highlight=chicken
Thoey, flip your chicken and or chicken parts skin side down the second half of the cook....high heat as you can get. I know the water pan blocks most of the direct heat but i bet it'll turn out even better like that in the WSM.

Well here is the finished product. Brushed with mayo and kc rub mixed in. I mixed some KC rub with olive oil and poured/rubbed it under the skin and did the mayo on the outside.

Waiting on potatoes to get done and my daughter to get here. I tasted the breast meat so far. It was damm tasty. I haven't tried the skin yet. It doesn't appear overly crispy though. Not like I expected.

Correction the skin is not crispy at all. It is soft and soggy..:cry:

I never got crispy skin with mayo either. But it did help to soften the skin. I haven't used mayo in a few years, but when I did I would use the mayo, cook it until I hit my desired IT on the chicken, and then sauce and hold in a pan with some sauce in it covered with foil and kept at 170 for about an hour. By that time, the skin was bite through soft.

For a long time now though, I just basically grill my chicken over wood coals. I like the taste of that best. I find unbrined, unslathered, just some rub works best for me. Brining makes the skin a bit tougher to start with, and from there you pretty much have to go through the efforts to soften it, like described above. Leaving the rub on too long also seems to firm up the skin from my experience.

There are many, many ways to do things though. I see people making awesome chicken doing other methods. This is just what I liked then, and what I like now.

I guess I should point out I don't do that for whole birds, though, since you did a whole bird.:doh: What I said above is for pieces parts.:loco:

I don't even bother with the skin when smoking whole chicken. I do it at higher heat, like roasting, but the skin never comes out as crisp as in a dry heat oven, due to the moist heat smoking environment. When I smoke a whole bird (I cook at 325-350) I just take the skin off, part out the meat, and slice or chop it for serving.

That's just me though. So many other options out there.

I guess I should point out I don't do that for whole birds, though, since you did a whole bird.:doh: What I said above is for pieces parts.:loco:

I don't even bother with the skin when smoking whole chicken. I do it at higher heat, like roasting, but the skin never comes out as crisp as in a dry heat oven, due to the moist heat smoking environment. When I smoke a whole bird (I cook at 325-350) I just take the skin off, part out the meat, and slice or chop it for serving.

That's just me though. So many other options out there.

Never factored in the fact of the moist cooking environment. I use a UDS only and with the juices sizzling off my diffuser it is most definitely a moist environment. Would be hard to get crispy skin that way.

Yea parts are cake to get perfectly crisp but whole birds is trickier. Simple is best for whole birds... I've said it before and i'll say it again.
For whole chickens
DRY SKIN (brining isn't doing any favors)
DIRECT HEAT (if you can do it)
Flip skin down towards end of cook (or rotisserie)
High heat...over 400 if you can

Crispy chicken isn't all about technique but also the right kind of cooker. I'm not gonna get the best skin cooking in a cabinet smoker or WSM (unless the water pan is taken out the last part of the cook)....or offset for that matter unless you can sear over the FB.

Oh a big blow torch like the harbor freight weed burner (use carefully) will work and it doesn't take long.

Does not appear you gave the skin the opportunity to crisp up, imho.

I use a mayo base to 'kettle fry' cut up chicken. Dust with a breading after a good coating of mayo. you could probably do the same with high, indirect heat.

Never factored in the fact of the moist cooking environment. I use a UDS only and with the juices sizzling off my diffuser it is most definitely a moist environment. Would be hard to get crispy skin that way.
No it will do great in the UDS...just try to flip so the heat hits the skin the last half hour or so. I'm talking spatchcocking though.

Ive done mayo in the sauce that I've dunked into after the cook. Crispy skin, paired with a unique BBQ sauce. Google Bob Gibson's white BBQ sauce, smoke the chicken, finish over hot side to crisp, then dip in a big pot of the sauce, people loved it.

Back