what's the secret to cooking points? I obviously need some help.

Royalslover

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I normally cook packers but picked up a point only for cheap. threw it on the uds until it was about 210. It didn't quite probe tender but I yanked it off anyway. It is quite tasty but pretty tough. Did I just take it off too soon? Seems like the collagen isn't quite broken down yet. How do you guys handle brisket points and how do they compare to points left on the packer?

Just like a flat, you cook until they are done. While they will probe tender, I usually cook them longer until I can squeeze them between my thumb and finger. I look for a feeling of the meat sliding and a softness....but then again I'm making Burnt Ends out of them.

Yep, you just pulled it quick.

The hotter your fire, the higher the temp will be at finish. Points can take more abuse, too, and sounds like you simply pulled too early. Don't get worried about the IT, just the feel and probe of it.

Agree with everyone above. Simply pulled it too soon. Now you know for next time!

Where did you find a point only? I think it is harder to find than to cook. LOL Also they need to cook much longer than a flat...the best ones I have cooked I thought they were going to be WAY over cooked.

The Point has more connective tissue so they take longer to cook and will be probe tender before it has finished breaking down to a palatable piece of meat. I usually go 3 hrs after it has hit probe tender. Feel is a better indicator for the point; I poke it with my finger what I look for is the give you get when you press on a wet sponge.

This post is a help to me right now. I have a point in the fridge I'm hoping to cook up this weekend. 3 hours past probe tender sounds like a lot of extra cook time!

I just did a point a couple days ago and it was tough at 208. Let if go another 40minutes at 325 and it probed like butter. You just pulled it too soon.

This post is a help to me right now. I have a point in the fridge I'm hoping to cook up this weekend. 3 hours past probe tender sounds like a lot of extra cook time!

If you ever cooked a packer and relied on it being done based off of probe tender in the point you end up with an undercooked brisket. just because the point is probe tender don't mean that it has broken down the connective tissue and rendered most of the fat. Most briskets will be probe tender in the point hrs before the flat is probe tender in the thickest part. That extra cook time is the difference between Poor mans Ribeye & a mouth full of rubber bands.

If you ever cooked a packer and relied on it being done based off of probe tender in the point you end up with an undercooked brisket. just because the point is probe tender don't mean that it has broken down the connective tissue and rendered most of the fat. Most briskets will be probe tender in the point hrs before the flat is probe tender in the thickest part. That extra cook time is the difference between Poor mans Ribeye & a mouth full of rubber bands.

Thanks blu! I can see myself second guessin the doness on these. I'll try and go by feel for sure!

I agree with blu--point needs to go significantly past probe tender.

Unless it is falling apart it is not overcooked. Since the point has so much fat, it can even be enjoyed when falling apart--so better to err on the side of overcooking than undercooking.

BTW--if you don't have the time to smoke a point there are many pot roast type recipes in German or Jewish culture that are delicious when made with brisket point.

Back