Brisket Questions before tmrws. cook

The first of many to come! Only one of these I bought though. Pretty tasty :)
I like to buy singles at a local place to try different beers.

88004FB9-3A0A-428D-8857-B8BD041CA092_zpsfgieotue.jpg

AB9E4B86-170E-4B5D-8877-B826C1B5E5E2_zpswmn5sepn.jpg

Fired up the Yoder YS 480 and going to try my first Butt on it. Still using these Lumberjack "Blend" pellets the guy gave me with the smoker. Not sure they're going to provide enough smoke for my taste, but I'm staying at a very low temp (170-180) for the first several hours and then ramp it up later to finish it off. Hope that'll smoke it up real nice.

03BA6042-42A4-4528-856A-D348971FF1BA_zpsu6vtny4n.jpg

90A6CCC5-7C32-4DDB-9475-26419C9222A4_zpsnhkbvvbj.jpg

Yeah, I've got to start going by feel and probe and not temps. Going to try my hardest on this one. We'll see.

Thank you

I've shared this video a few times now. Might not be helpful for all but it what I look for in feel
[ame]https://youtu.be/OTiRsduKcXk[/ame]

LOL Yeah I think I watched that one a while back, as well as a few of the other goofy ones. I commented on YT. lol

Or maybe that one someone else's vids..I'll have to check. Sounds like the same voice though. Are you the one that did the vids with your wife in the background?

Well I ended up foiling it at 171* to hopefully speed up the process and to keep it from getting too dark.

Ran the fire a bit hotter too. Since I was having trouble keeping it lower anyway.

Flat got to 208*.... So I pulled it and uncovered...Probed it in several places..Still have some tug but it's getting close... I re-wrapped and just went ahead and put it in the oven on 250* to let it ride for another hour or so. 14+ lbs. couldn't have truly cooked that fast, even at the higher temps I was at at times. Spikes were 300-315* but I tried to keep it at 250-300 range.

I went ahead and moved the Butt over to my offset since I had it up to almost 300*...It needed a bit more bark than the Yoder was providing and the internals were only at 165*... I'll bark it up a bit more and then wrap it as well. No point in letting the wood I still have burning go to waste.

Again, lack of time bit me I think...After pulling it and putting in the oven, I let it ride for another hour or two but it never seemed to tender up in most of the flat. I had to get to bed so I set it on 170* and let it HOLD there until 0930 this morning. Took it straight out and put it in the cooler with a towel over it. It's still sitting there while I'm taking care of my father for the early afternoon. I'll head home in a few hours and slice it up.. Finger crossed that it finally tendered up.

Pork Butt turned out fairly good...BUT, I do NOT like the smell and flavor of these "BLEND" pellets that came with the smoker. Brought it to give to my parents. Dad like it but he's not picky. lol I'm gonna have to buy some straight Hickory or Mesquite or Oak to hopefully get the flavor I'm looking for from this thing. Add a smoke tube as well I think. Just need to order some. It is nice however to be able to set it and forget it with a pellet smoker.

Once my LSGIVC gets here I might just sell everything I own except it....LOL

Tbrtt1's advice was great. I didn't say it very well the last time I posted info on successful brisket cook but sometimes if you probe through the edges, you won't get that like butter feel. I've started probing through the top of the flat in the thickest part and around the edges about an inch in. Unless it's a really crappy piece of brisket or a select, it will probe like butter eventually. And when you get it right you will be thrilled with the results. I struggled with brisket for a while but my last three attempts have received rave reviews. Good luck!

I'm to lazy to go back and re-read the while thread...
How many hours and what average temp? I always add an hour or 2 to my planned cook. Just never know and big cuts hold easily

I'm to lazy to go back and re-read the while thread...
How many hours and what average temp? I always add an hour or 2 to my planned cook. Just never know and big cuts hold easily

About 10-11 hours on the smoker. Wrapped at 171*
Temp fluctuations where pretty bad again. Even with smaller (cut in half) splits. Mainly I think because I tried Franklins way in the vid. Coals directly on the bottom of the box with no fire grate. It was hard to keep a flame at times. Constantly had to watch it. Tiring 11 hours walking back and forth from the house to the smoker. Temps ranged from low 200's when I didn't catch it in time, to 325* on some flare ups with new splits added.

Went into the oven on hour 11 at internal temp of 208*....Oven on 250*... Lowered it to 200 after an hour...Let ride for another hour. Lowered 170* and went to bed at around 0200 hrs. Pulled it and stuck in cooler at 0930 hrs. Just pulled it and sliced it.

Very happy to say it was done and frankly a bit over done for sure, but more tender than last time. Taste was great. I'm happy. I'll do better next time.

21FFC37D-B5F2-48F1-BECA-44FC73E51197_zpshzsynxjd.jpg

85610364-DD98-4219-BC64-D2DFA1C4B3E0_zps4zewi2n1.jpg

5C649A3F-3D54-4889-93F8-55CE10269668_zpsrbqgg9h6.jpg

937172C9-5708-45CC-BB60-6C3689C382C0_zpsvsn4hpgg.jpg

8C33EAF6-6BE2-4E63-92B3-B017CE19BD72_zpsns9u99y2.jpg

Looks pretty good. A little over is still good. Venting before holding would have probably helped.

Looks pretty good. A little over is still good. Venting before holding would have probably helped.

Yeah, that's the only thing I didn't do there at the end, but since I'd pulled it out, uncovered twice while in the oven to probe tested, I figured I was just keeping it from finishing. Anyway, at almost 2am I'd just had enough messing with it. lol

I'll be eating on it all week. Glad it turned out a bit better than the last one.

Thanks for all the help and advice folks!!!

David

ByThe Way....I've been doing all these briskets on the Offset, Fat Side Up like Franklin recommends in his vid. I'm sure Fat side down would protect the flat a bit more from being dry, but it seems I wouldn't get as much smoke penetration.

I may try one fat side down next, just to see.

Back