THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

juslearning

is one Smokin' Farker
Is there a good set of pots and pans, or individuals, that are fairly inexpensive? I am looking at about a $200 budget for Christmas.

Funny you should post this, I almost posted the same last week! I've been doing some research on this recently. One of the best reviewed sets I've seen for the money is this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-10-Piece-18-10-Stainless-Steel-TriPly-Clad-Cookware-Set/11072505

If you google it, you find all sorts of good reviews on the set, and from a wide variety of sources. I haven't decided if I'm gonna go that route or just slowly start an All clad collection one piece at a time. Hope others with more experience chime in!

Lodge cast iron is what you want for pans. I like stainless steel for stock pots. Once you get used to cooking in cast iron, you won't want anything else. A good quality 12" non-stick sautee pan is handy for some stuff, though.

It is a good subject and I think everyone has an opinion on what they like.
When my wife and I were first married, we were gifted a set of good quality Farberware (Aluminum clad bottoms). They are nearing the end of their life span with me.
Last year, I started buying restaurant grade pots and pans for cooking at home. I like Winco stainless. Restaurant stores in my area are high on these. I bought most of mine on Ebay from a wholesaler. I think I have $50 in three saute pans 14", 10" and an 8". Locally, these were around $30 a piece. Oh, they are induction ready also.

When I worked in a restaurant, almost everything was aluminum, it works, but hard to be spotless cleaning them.

For BBQ and cooking on an open fire Lodge Cast Iron is my favorite.

I also have three large stock pots that are aluminum cast or spun. and one stainless stock pot. If you cook in salted water, aluminum will corrode and need a lot of elbow grease to clean them up. I am a "shine" fan, so I hate any discoloration.

I do have some Calphalon pieces, but they are used rarely anymore.

I like to have the right tool for the right job.

I have a few Cuisinart pieces that I bought at Bed Bath & Beyond that are quite nice. They are made like the All-Clad stuff with the triple-ply bottom. They are priced nicely compared to most stuff and the quality is excellent.

On a more expensive note, I just bought a de Buyer 8" frying pan on Amazon for $40 that I love and will be buying the larger sizes. They are iron pans (not cast iron) and work very well...

I have a Set of Wearever SS I got at WW a few years back it is all 18 Ga triple bottom. For 200 you can get 4 sets. I'll put them up against All-Clad any day.

America's Test Kitchen rates the Tramontina SS right behind All Clad. I've had a SS set by Cuisinart that I got at Sam's years ago and love it. It's very similar to Tramontina.

I have a set of Emerilware similar to this one and like it a lot. It's an imported All-Clad rebranded.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-E884SC74-Stainless-12-Piece-Cookware/dp/B0085C96DC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1353624382&sr=8-3&keywords=emeril+cookware"]Emeril by All-Clad E884SC74 Chef's Stainless Steel 12-Piece Cookware Set, Silver: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Academy Sports has some very nice cast iron cookware that's a bit less expensive than Lodge. I bought a BIG cast iron kettle for frying fish.

"Decorate your counter tops" turned me off like a faucet. I'll stick with the better quality commercial aluminum type. Except a good cast iron skillet of course.

Funny you should post this, I almost posted the same last week! I've been doing some research on this recently. One of the best reviewed sets I've seen for the money is this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-10-Piece-18-10-Stainless-Steel-TriPly-Clad-Cookware-Set/11072505

If you google it, you find all sorts of good reviews on the set, and from a wide variety of sources. I haven't decided if I'm gonna go that route or just slowly start an All clad collection one piece at a time. Hope others with more experience chime in!

I did some research and ended up buying this set. Pretty much same quality a all clad but without the price. I'm very happy with them.

Academy Sports has some very nice cast iron cookware that's a bit less expensive than Lodge. I bought a BIG cast iron kettle for frying fish.

I bought the largest they had for making a small batch of chicken stew in. Only used it once since I bought it, but it worked good.

I already have 3 cast iron frying pans and a small and medium dutch oven.

The set at Sam's I have looked at every time I go in there, I just didn't know anything about GOOD quality stuff. I also have several Baker and Chefs frying pans of different sizes, which are ok, but nothing as a set.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I am just going to let the kids "buy me" a set of the Tramontina from Sams for Christmas. Unless someone can change my mind.

I think pots and pans are a lot like knives, you probably don't need a set, just get what you need. I have a couple cast iron skillets that are my main workhorses. I have a 14" stainless fry pan with lid that I can use if I want to brown something then stick it in the oven covered for a while. If I were shopping again for fry pans I'd likely look at cast aluminum. I have a 4 quart stainless pot with lid. The 6 quart enameled dutch oven is great for braising roasts. I also have a small cheap pot I use for sauces and oatmeals. I have a couple large stock pots. Teflon does not enter my home.

Basically figure out how you like to cook and in what and get the pieces.

I think pots and pans are a lot like knives, you probably don't need a set, just get what you need. I have a couple cast iron skillets that are my main workhorses. I have a 14" stainless fry pan with lid that I can use if I want to brown something then stick it in the oven covered for a while. If I were shopping again for fry pans I'd likely look at cast aluminum. I have a 4 quart stainless pot with lid. The 6 quart enameled dutch oven is great for braising roasts. I also have a small cheap pot I use for sauces and oatmeals. I have a couple large stock pots. Teflon does not enter my home.

Basically figure out how you like to cook and in what and get the pieces.

I already have all the basics that work just fine. Several SS stock pots, and restuarant pans. I don't really NEED any thing I am just wanting a nice set. May even get one of those hanging things to put some of it on.

Last edited:
I have owned all kinds of cookware. My favorite daily use pans are commercial pans from a Restaurant Supply store. Decent price, and they work great.

I currently do not have a "set" of anything. I have my Griswold raw cast iron, my Le Creuset enameled cast iron, my commercial skillets, and some All-Clad sauce pans. Over the years, I tried different cookware, and gradually figured out what I like and don't like. I kept the stuff like, and sold or gave away the rest. It's a personal thing, IMO.

CD

Back