freezer storage

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dave
When packaging stuff for the freezer, what are the options for liquid stuff? I make big pots of chili, stew and soup that I'd like to portion and freeze. My sister says she reuses plastic 16 oz. tubs that she gets cottage cheese in.

Tupperware?

We reuse Italian Beef containers, basically super large cottage cheese containers. If you don't want to eat all that food you can buy "deli containers" on Amazon for less than $.50 each.

I use freezer bags too. Like mentioned above, they lay flat for stacking.
If you're interested in long term shelf storage, pressure canning works for me. It's nice to have shelf stable foods that can be heated up in a few minutes.

I put everything in foil but keeping it really cold like <0f is best. After a year or two it's still very good.

…
If you're interested in long term shelf storage, pressure canning works for me. It's nice to have shelf stable foods that can be heated up in a few minutes.

What cowgirl said ^^^
I always seem to be short on room in the freezer and pressure canning is a great alternative to freezing.

We stack our vac sealed or freezer bags in cardboard or plastic boxes to keep them in place.

I put liquids in a cryo bag and freeze, and then vac seal once it thickens or is solid.

I usually prefer liquids to be a large mass or tube, rather than flat.

I put my chili and soups in gallon Glad Freezer Bags and get as much air out as possible before I put it in. the freezer. Works fine for me

I wouldn't have thought that a zip-lock seal could be trusted that far. Thanks.
I see that Glad shows some of their bags being able to "stand up" for filling.

I wish they had a half gallon size. Between a quart and a gallon.

One of my reasons for vac sealing is wanting to thaw in the bag with warm water, and also not wanting it to leak as it thaws. I find ziplock bags aren't very reliable - and not even necessarily the zipper.

Initial freezing in small "meal prep" bowls in the freezer. Once frozen, I remove them and then bag/vacuum seal and then put them back into the freezer.

We reuse Italian Beef containers, basically super large cottage cheese containers. If you don't want to eat all that food you can buy "deli containers" on Amazon for less than $.50 each.

Thanks for that. A 40 pack for $19.99

Back