THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

chilidog

Full Fledged Farker
I have a OTS 22" kettle and after reading all the reviews thought I would try beer can chicken but without the beer can. Found a rack that would hold the chicken upright but it wont clear the lid. I had a pretty small chicken (2.3 lbs) and I did get it to clear the lid by pushing the chicken down as far as I could on the holder. The chicken was great but I was wondering if anybody has the same problem and what to do about it in the future?
I used the side pockets for the charcoal and cooked at between 375 and 425 degrees. Can I take the top rack out and put the chicken holder on the charcoal rack? Will this do the job?
Kevin

I have the weber rotisserie ring. When I do beer can chikin I would just put the ring on and have plenty of room. I think I actually did a beer can turkey that way once. :cool:

I did a beer can chicken on my kettle. I had to move it more to the middle. Here's a picture. It turned out great. I blackened it, which is what you're seeing in the picture, not burnt:

246816_1773277300113_2123617_n.jpg

I swear by the spatchcock cooking method and usually throw a brick or weight on top for part of the time. I have not tried doing a beer can chicken but its high on my list of things to give a try.

I'll third spatchcocking instead of beer can. A good-sized spatchcocked chicken will be done in about 45 minutes. That said, for space reasons, or to impress guests, I will sometimes still do beer can chickens. I've never had an issue fitting one on the 22.5" OTG. If it is a problem for you, bank coals on either side and put the chicken in the middle of the grill where the dome has the highest clearance.

I noticed the skin was crunchy on the beer can chicken. Cooked it between 375 and 400 degrees. Wife really liked it. Can I get the skin that crunchy if I split it and lay it flat on the grill?

I noticed the skin was crunchy on the beer can chicken. Cooked it between 375 and 400 degrees. Wife really liked it. Can I get the skin that crunchy if I split it and lay it flat on the grill?

Yep. If you cook at that temp again I would say for sure. Now quit skitzin and go spatch a chicken. If it doesn't work out you have earned the right to call us idiots. Worse case you still have chicken for dinner. My money's on you scrapping that whole beer can thing. :thumbup:

Hi Chilidog, I don't know the height of your cover, but this holder I have is just under 8 inches. The narrow upper neck allows passage through the upper neck of the chicken and the whole chicken sits below the top of the holder... I love it.....

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1X4RC/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i01"]Amazon.com: Fox Run Non-Stick Vertical Poultry Roaster: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

I think my problem is my holder is too big around and cant get the chicken to slide down far enough to clear the lid. If I push it down as far as I can the ends of the drumsticks are barely touching the bottom vertically. Some of the pictures I have seen the chicken goes down far enough that the drumsticks are almost horizonal with the grill.

I sometimes use chicken sitters to save space on the WSM. I can get more birds in it vertically than by spatchcocking (although I like spatching better). I have both single and double sitters (gifts) and I can get 4 - 6 on the big WSM or the big offset.

I sometimes use chicken sitters to save space on the WSM. I can get more birds in it vertically than by spatchcocking (although I like spatching better). I have both single and double sitters (gifts) and I can get 4 - 6 on the big WSM or the big offset.

I totally agree with this reason for doing beer can chicken (or, as I mentioned, because it impresses some guests). But other than cooking space & for "wow" factor, spatchcocking a chicken is the way to go.

another vote for spatchcocking, its the only way i do it!!!! beer can chicken is much harder to get cooked evenly, not that it cant be done, though. i also like to put wooden skewers through the bird so it makes it easier to handle like this:

yardbird.jpg

the only thing bad about spatchcocking is the chicken doesn't get a beer, and beer is delicious. i make up for it by drinking an extra for the bird.

another vote for spatchcocking, its the only way i do it!!!! beer can chicken is much harder to get cooked evenly, not that it cant be done, though. i also like to put wooden skewers through the bird so it makes it easier to handle like this:

yardbird.jpg

the only thing bad about spatchcocking is the chicken doesn't get a beer, and beer is delicious. i make up for it by drinking an extra for the bird.

I have that exact same knife set... and possibly the same coffee maker!

Back