What is the best sale of the year on charcoal these days?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
I remember on Labor day -- or was it Memorial day I forget -- back 9 years ago, I picked up 2 x 20 lb bags of Kingsford for $9.99 if I recall.

Has there been another deal like this in the past couple years? I asked here a couple years back and people here said there hasn't been deals like that in a while.

So what is actually the best deal I can get? I need to stock up some day this year, getting maybe 20 bags or it or something -- as long as it stores well in a shed for years without getting too much moisture -- etc..

Almost out entirely -- 1/3rd of a bag left.

Just bought a double pack of 16lb bags of Kingsford here in the 'burg at Lowes for 19.57 with tax. Our sales tax is almost a dime on the dollar. Don't know if that is a deal or not but it was the best price I could find in this one pony town. (The 'burg ain't big enough to be a one horse town)

If it is going to happen it likely will be Memorial day weekend. Keep an eye out.

If you have Menards in your area they usually have a sale around the summer holidays. Generally featuring Royal Oak briquettes if you like those. I’ve been buying twin packs of 20lb bags of Cowboy briquettes at Walmart as of late for about $19 plus tax. Cheapest I’ve found and pretty good charcoal.

If you have Menards in your area they usually have a sale around the summer holidays. Generally featuring Royal Oak briquettes if you like those. I’ve been buying twin packs of 20lb bags of Cowboy briquettes at Walmart as of late for about $19 plus tax. Cheapest I’ve found and pretty good charcoal.

AND the cowboy briqs are better than KBB by far.

Yep....the $10 twin pack of Kingsford hasn't happened in quite a while. You may get around $15 on Memorial Day for the twin. By a bag of Blues Hog or Cowboy at Walmart to carry you over until then.

Though better now it seems just finding the brand you want is a win regardless of sale or no sale.

I would gladly pay that price, but I believe those days are long gone.

In 2009 , with a special coupon, we were getting single 20Lb bags of KBB for about $2.00 if you knew how to play it right:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75075

Sometimes even less:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69190

:cry:

I'll have to try out the Cowboy briquettes, do they last longer? Kingsford blue has a lotta ash.

Yeah the cowboy deal looks pretty sweet at $17.92 for 40 lbs. $0.44 per pound. Best I saw for Kingsford Blue was 56 cents per pound. So the Cowboy is 44/56 = %78.5 the cost of the Kingsford Blue.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cowboy-H...-Each-Pack-of-2/1432359089?from=searchResults

"Hardwood" "All Natural" sounds better than Kingsford blue on the packaging lol. Don't know if Kingsford uses soft wood or whatever. They don't say hardwood. Or does it take hardwood to make charcoal?

Does the Cowboy have a lot less ash? Does it burn longer? I know it's not as expensive but it'd be a bonus if it was more efficient as well.

EDIT: I just emailed Cowboy and asked them if they have any coupons they could mail me :) I'll let ya know what they say :)

Last edited:

"Hardwood" "All Natural" sounds better than Kingsford blue on the packaging lol. Don't know if Kingsford uses soft wood or whatever. They don't say hardwood. Or does it take hardwood to make charcoal?

Does the Cowboy have a lot less ash? Does it burn longer? I know it's not as expensive but it'd be a bonus if it was more efficient as well.

I don't know what's in Kingsford these days but they have been known to use everything including softwoods and Anthracite Coal for heat with Limestone for a binder. My experience with it was it left the worst ash I've ever seen. Aside from sale prices I don't understand It's appeal.

Back