What do you rub your chicken with for smokin' ?

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Hi all,

Ok, I'm getting itchy to fire up my new offset again soon...thinking chicken.

I'm planning to spatchcock my bird for this....and likely will salt brine it.

But for seasoning it...what do ya'll use to make a rub for your bird?

Do you do the same for chicken as you do for turkey?

I'm looking mainly for DIY seasoning mixes....not store bought rubs.....

Thank you in advance!!!

cayenne

I do Harvest Brine for my Turkey. For my chicken I put it in Thirdeye's lite brine from his blog. My favorite rub is Smoke'n Dudes Chicken rub. Plowboys Yardbird is good also

Wow

I do Harvest Brine for my Turkey. For my chicken I put it in Thirdeye's lite brine from his blog. My favorite rub is Smoke'n Dudes Chicken rub. Plowboys Yardbird is good also

That sounds fascinating!!!

Thank you!!

Do you have any links for these offhand??

Again, thank you in advance!!

cayenne

I got Smoke'n Dudes when in PA. I dont know if they do mail order. Thirdeye is a member here. Go to his page and check out the recipes in his blog. Plowboys Yardbird is great on Pulled Pork too- check Amazon. Old Bay Seasoning is Great on Poultry

Exclusively!

loot-n-booty-gold-star_512x512.png

My favorite rub is a recipe I got from another site. It's called "Shooter Rick's Snake Bitten Chicken". It's a Jerk seasoning, that includes Wasabi powder. I can't hardly eat Chicken off the grill without it anymore.

I like McCormick Montreal Chicken. I also found a chicken seasoning at Wally World called Chef Merito's Pollo. It's not the healthiest choice but dang it's good.

Simply Marvelous Santa Maria is really good on chicken and fish but like most rubs is too salty if over applied. I wish store bought didn't include salt so you could add your own.

Thanks~!!

I think onion and garlic powder are typical for most of us. Easy to apply like salt & pepper.

Ok thank you!!

Of late, I've moved from using garlic powder to granulated garlic.

There's SO much humidity in the air here in New Orleans 24/7...that fine powders tend to clump up and cake into hard balls rather quickly.....

I find the granulated stuff does not...wish they made granulated onion....I suppose I can just take onion flakes and run them through the food processor or the spice mill.....

C

Back