Can you smoke a store bought ham (Spiral or otherwise) ?

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Starting this time of year through Xmas...at the grocery stores, you see hams on sale for cheap.

I've had decent results with these in the oven..the usual, coca cola glazed....gingersnap type coatings and glazes, I even did kind of a chipotle and honey type glaze...all are pretty good.

You generally cover in foil, warm in oven, then glaze/coat and finish with foil off to set things.

I know these hams are mostly if not fully cooked....

I'm sure others have thought about this.....of cooking in the offset smoker rather than the kitchen oven.

Any good recipes and advice for doing something like this?

I have few of these things that I got for next to nothing that I'd like to play with...some already spiral cut, others are not.

Do you glaze them or just throw some smoke on there?

Any good seasoning ideas?

Anyway, I'm sure this has been done to death before, so I thought ya'll would have a lot of great ideas up your collective sleeves on this one.

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

I know smoking them a 2nd time on a pellet smoker makes them delicious. I've never done it on my charcoal smoker to see if it would be too smokey or not.

I have cooked them in my smoker, and basically followed the oven instructions on the ham. I treated my smoker like the oven. I go 250 on the pit temp until the ham hits 140 IT. I glaze after that per instructions on the ham

Go light on the smoke. Too much smoke is a deal breaker.

Doing a second smoke on many things... hocks, shanks, hams, turkey drumsticks really adds a nice flavor bump. Be careful with spiral hams, as it's easy to dry out the edges.

During the holidays I buy "carver hams" from Sam's Club and give them as gifts. These are an outside ham meaning an outer muscle from the rear leg, and weigh in between 4 and 5 pounds. I typically go a coupe of hours at 250°. Carver refers to the fact they are easy to slice.

MmfKc3j.jpg

I’ve smoked cooked hams several times on my WSM and my pellet grill, always a hit. Highly recommend. Kosmo Q and Malcom Reed both put out You tube videos this week on this subject, check those out for some good info. I’m sure there are others out there as well.

You want to smoke low n slow. Spiral hams are already cooked and will dry out a lot faster then a non spiral ham. I would go 200F - 225F for an hour or two until the IT reaches 135-140F.

Ive been doing them since I first started with a bullet smoker. Put it over the turkey and let it drip baste the bird.

Seems the only option these days. I've been trying to find a fresh ham to cook my way and have had no luck.

I don't understand this fresh ham. Are you referring to a uncured pork leg? Wouldn't that be the same as a pork Picnic shoulder and a pork butt?

Bob, The ham is cut from the back leg of the hog whereas the pork picnic/pork shoulder come from the front leg. Uncured back legs and the ham that is cut from the leg are referred to as fresh hams/legs. They are seldom seen in a grocery store although a goggle search reveals that Publix does carry them. You can probably find them in a meat market. Most retail hams are of the cured variety.

Bob, The ham is cut from the back leg of the hog whereas the pork picnic/pork shoulder come from the front leg. Uncured back legs and the ham that is cut from the leg are referred to as fresh hams/legs. They are seldom seen in a grocery store although a goggle search reveals that Publix does carry them. You can probably find them in a meat market. Most retail hams are of the cured variety.

Whats the difference in terms of texture/flavor? Why seek this cut out?

I've done it dozens of times. Weber WSM, pellet smoker, etc... they all work just fine. Can be a spiral cut ham, whole uncut ham, just about any ham. Probably the best glaze I've found is the honey/butter recipe Smokin' Joe's Pit BBQ posted in his YouTube video a while back. Simple and elegant. I kicked mine up a notch with the addition of some good bourbon and magic happens!!!!

Here is his video with the glaze recipe. Glaze 50% butter mixed with 50% honey (and add bourbon as desired). Video also shows just how simple it is to "Double Smoke" (reheat on smoker a pre-smoked store bought ham)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VqHvgbsXM8

Bob, The uncured ham in my opinion does not have the tightness of texture that a cured ham does. The uncured ham does not taste "hammy". If the ham has not been cured, it tastes like roasted pork. Two reasons I can think of that people seek out the uncured ham might be they want to cure the ham themselves or they prefer the taste of the uncured ham. Another possibility is that they cannot consume the nitrates and salts that are used in the curing process due to dietary concerns.

Here is a link that might give you more information:

https://americasrestaurant.com/pork-shoulder-vs-ham/

My go to method for pre-cooked hams (I prefer whole bone-in hams, not spiral) is to apply a light coating of oil and apply black pepper liberally to the ham. Smoke the ham and reapply black pepper every 20-30 minutes. The last hour I will baste the ham 2-3 times with a thin apple cider vinegar/tomato bast bbq sauce. I would leave a good amount of meat on the bones when slicing and the bones made the bast bean soup.

Back