Do you ever SPLIT your Butts (Pork) for smoking?

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Hi all,

I've got a decent stockpile of Boston Butt pork roasts that I fill the chest freezer with whenever they go on sale locally for $0.99/lb....and I'm thinking that might be my next target of opportunity on the new offset smoker.

One complaint I have always had with doing the whole butts is...while the texture is great and flavor is good....they just never seem to have enough smoke flavor to me.

I guess I like a bit of a medium aggressive smoke flavor in all my BBQ....

Back years back when I had my bandera vertical smoker...I tried a few times where I figured more surface area on the butt roast might help get more smoke flavor in there.

And it seemed to help. I would split it in half butterflied lengthwise along the bone, usually exposing one side of the. bone so that I'd get almost double the surface area to the smoke.

I was thinking of doing that to my next one.

Have ya'll done this and if so, what's your thoughts?

Pro's vs Cons's?

What is your method if you do this?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

I'll cut Butts in half for more bark when I make the Mississippi style roast. I prefer butts to chuck roast.

3dWchEa.jpg

HDmgYV6.jpg

Ditto all the above, except liking big butts. In my experience the shorter cooking time is similar to time needed for ribs. If we ran out of pulled pork at lunch, we could cook more using this method and have it ready for dinner.

Ditto all the above, except liking big butts. In my experience the shorter cooking time is similar to time needed for ribs. If we ran out of pulled pork at lunch, we could cook more using this method and have it ready for dinner.

You like big butts, don't lie.

I do it often. I generally split bone-in butts 'cause I think the bone is flavor (that may not be true, but it is how I was raised). No doubt is easier with boneless...

Can't beak some barky pulled pork.

Sir Mix A Lot

Is that Donkey from Shrek?

I believe the original of that song was "Sir Mix A Lot"....

I usually believe that the terms "Rap" and "Music" are mutually exclusive....but a few of the very very OLD school ones like this I actually kinda like. I think its was called "Baby Got Back"?

But isn't a split but still a "Big Butt"?

;)

Bone in

I do it often. I generally split bone-in butts 'cause I think the bone is flavor (that may not be true, but it is how I was raised). No doubt is easier with boneless...

Can't beak some barky pulled pork.

I do like Bone IN myself (I rarely see the boneless variety down here)....but I like the bone to use in a pot of beans after that pork is pretty much gone.

And usually when the butts are on sale down here for $0.97-$0.99/lb....they always come bone-in and 2 to a pack....

C

Back