Weber gasser about to die

bonz50

Take a breath!
Name or Nickame
Tony
but it's been great for nearly 22yrs so I'm not complaining...

however, I gonna start planning a replacement but I'm kinda lookin at maybe doing a nice pellet grill, but... I've only seen a few that will get some high temps to sear with, like the yoder for instance.

if I stick with gas I'm probably gonna be droppin 1700-2000 anyway, thought maybe a similar quality/priced pellet might be an option.

any thoughts??

Have you thought about rebuilding the Weber? If it is just the internals and not the externals (frame etc), I'd rebuild rather than buy a new one. We have a gently used, but neglected Genisis Gold from that time frame and I would rather rebuild than purchase new. Parts are available it will just take a little elbow grease to replace the old worn out parts.

Just my opinion.

Robert

I've got several spare parts (burner tubes, flavorizer bars, grates) but the ones I need are no longer made (already called them about it) so I can probably limp it along for another year or so depending on how the rest of it hold up, might have to source a few parts from the aftermarket vs weber OEM. if I can of course that is the preferred method, frees up money for a new stick burner that I want/need. :tongue:

You won't go wrong with a Yoder. Love my YS-640 but if too big the 480 is there. You can but much cheaper but those will be recycled long before the Yoder. I don't much use mine for a sear but you sure can. I prefer to use the Weber kettle with cast iron grates for a nice sear.

Don't grill on a pellet grill.

For grilling get either another gasser or charcoal. Weber gassers seem to go on good sales now and again but all Weber prices have gone crazy since their half baked attempt to go public. I say go charcoal.

I have a Weber gasser, a Primo Oval and a Mak2, I purchased three years ago. I went with the Mak because it could marginally get up to grilling temperatures and I also wanted to spend some money during Covid to help out with local businesses. The first night, I grilled salmon. Now this is easy, just 3 minutes per side, but the family raved about the smoke flavor, which was a new dimension over the Weber. The Weber has not seen the light of day since I got the Mak.

I've rebuilt my Webers numerous times. As long as the frame is OK, the rest of parts are available.

I place a small foil pan on top of one of the burners and put wood chips in that for smoke.

Works ok.

I have a Weber gasser, a Primo Oval and a Mak2, I purchased three years ago. I went with the Mak because it could marginally get up to grilling temperatures and I also wanted to spend some money during Covid to help out with local businesses. The first night, I grilled salmon. Now this is easy, just 3 minutes per side, but the family raved about the smoke flavor, which was a new dimension over the Weber. The Weber has not seen the light of day since I got the Mak.

That's interesting. Smoke flavor from only 6 minutes? Do you think it could be from the fat/drippings hitting the drip pan?

You won't go wrong with a Yoder. Love my YS-640 but if too big the 480 is there. You can but much cheaper but those will be recycled long before the Yoder. I don't much use mine for a sear but you sure can. I prefer to use the Weber kettle with cast iron grates for a nice sear.

+1

I was going to buy a Yoder but i wanted wifi so i decided on a Timberline 1300.

One of my biggest most expensive smoker regret. Ironically, i havent used my Timberline for over two years because im having WiFi issues that Treager has given me the cold shoulder on. I will never buy Treager ever again.

No suggestions from this corner. Any cooker you buy will have plusses and minuses of some sort.
Call me cheap or broke, I've never had a gasser that I've thought much of. If I could afford it and it grilled weenies and burgers for the kids, I called it good. If you have higher bars, there's more check marks to consider.

Had a totally random thought when I saw the title of the thread. "If your grill wanted a Viking Funeral- how would you go about it?

That's interesting. Smoke flavor from only 6 minutes? Do you think it could be from the fat/drippings hitting the drip pan?

Considering my wife and I used to play a game where she tells me what type of wood pellets I am using, I'd have to say no, as she has guessed correctly every time. So, yes, you do get smoke flavor from pellet grills even when grilling for only 6 minutes.

FWIW, I planned to go with the Yoder, but I had read a few reports of rust. I don't know if this is really an issue or not, but it was enough to send me to the Mak, plus the sale they were having at the time. I don't know if I regret this decision or not. I wouldn't have minded a bit more surface, but I do really enjoy the wifi. :noidea:

I have been happily gas grill free for over 15 years. I use the Weber Performer with gas start. My oldest one developed holes in the kettle from where I stack the charcoal against the side so I bought a new one last year for around $500. I can tell you without a doubt that the new Webers quality is a far cry from years ago. So for grilling, Weber Performer for me........

I don't think that I would buy a pellet cooker for grilling, and I have a Yoder YS640. Frankly, I'm about ready to pass it on to the next guy. It's too big and it's a PITA because you need to take it apart and vacuum the fire pot pretty frequently IMO. I also have times when I'm cooking outside that I don't want smoke flavor.......I just think you have to have different tools for different jobs.

YMMV........

It's out of the price range you mentioned, but I like the the features on the Cookshack pellet grills which include a section of the grill that's over an open flame for searing. I bought the Traeger Timberline 1300 which I've been happy with, but if I had to do it all over again I think I would have saved up for a Cookshack.

I will always have a gas grill. After about 3 burner replacements and grill grates, flavorizer bars etc I finally bought a new Weber after 25 years. The fit and finish was not there. The food is still good but price is up and quality is down. They still have great warranty service though.

I let them know about it and they were very receptive. Posted this thread.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304530

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and every grill, pellet, smoker may be this way now. I just don't know. In fairness to Weber, mine is still working fine.

Pellet ovens are not grills. I would never be without a gasser for quick weeknight cooks. And I have a ys640. If I had to replace my Weber gas now, I'd also take a hard look at a Napolean.

I think I'm gonna just rebuild the old Gold B and go for it. a couple hundy in parts and I'll be good to go. the frame is still solid and rust free so I'm replacing the burners/flavorizer bars/grates with stainless versions, the big grease tray and the grease drip pan assembly are also gonna be done. should have all the parts here by end of next week, I'll take a day and roll it out to the yard and pressure wash the interior before I reassemble and get everything inside back up to speed, it'll be worth it if it only lasts a couple more years.

FTR - when it finally does die I'll be lookin hard at the napoleon prestige 500 in that phantom black finish, very slick

Thanks everyone!!

Back