I'm thinking about getting a gas grill. Help talk me down!

FattyMac

Full Fledged Farker
I've been taking a good hard look at some of the higher end line up of Napoleon grills and I seem to have talked my self into it being a good fit. The searing burners seem to do their job well, integrated lights for those long winter nights and ease of use are the big selling points.

A bit of background, I haven't had a gas grill in well over 10 years, it's been a string of charcoal and pellet cookers. The cookers in my signature is what I've settled on and I'm quite happy with it. However, lately life has become rather busy, with a 2 year old and going back to school, and I find don't have or make the time for the (admittedly minimal but still) work associated with wood/charcoal. Pellets can't quite get the sear I'm after so the yoder gets used as smoke oven more than anything else. It's the one that would be on the chopping block given that it seems like the gas grill can do everything that I'm using the yoder for and more.

Long story short I guess I'm looking for advise from those that have gas cookers and wood/charcoal cookers. Do you find yourself using both? Which more often? Any real flavour differences? Am I nuts?

Thanks for the input!

Do you have the grill grates and 2 piece deflector plate for your Yoder? I haven't had any problems searing on it. Personally I am not a fan of gas grills, but the Napoleon, is a nice grill. I just can't imagine using it over a YS640.

Had wood/charcoal for years, bought an expensive gas grill when I built an outdoor kitchen and honestly I kept going back to my wood/charcoal almost all the time.

Now that I work for a gas grill company, I have been using the gas grills about 90% of the time although some of it is required cooking, mostly it's because of convenience and lack of time. Nothing is easier than turning a knob and being at 700 degrees in 5-10 minutes.

But for pure flavor and when I want to create an exceptional meal, I almost always go back to my tried and true wood/charcoal cookers. There is something primeval about it that you cant get from gas.

Nothing wrong with a good gasser. My DCS gets more action than any of my smokers. On the weeknights I don't hardly ever have time to do a long smoke. Get a good one and run natural gas out of your house to it so you don't ever run out of fuel mid-cook.

Gasser haters...why all the hate?

... Long story short I guess I'm looking for advise from those that have gas cookers and wood/charcoal cookers. Do you find yourself using both? Which more often? Any real flavour differences? Am I nuts?

Thanks for the input!

I look at my gas grill as a Microwave 'substitute'. When you cook over wood or charcoal, you get some real flavor from the cooking 'fuel'.

If I ever get another 'gas' grill, I will strongly consider a Natural Gas model because swapping out Propane tanks is a real pain where I live now. Charcoal takes longer to cook burgers but, I really prefer the flavor. Pellets or Wood in a smoker or as you put it, 'wood oven', is a favorite way of mine to cook a ham or roast.

Had wood/charcoal for years, bought an expensive gas grill when I built an outdoor kitchen and honestly I kept going back to my wood/charcoal almost all the time.

Now that I work for a gas grill company, I have been using the gas grills about 90% of the time although some of it is required cooking, mostly it's because of convenience and lack of time. Nothing is easier than turning a knob and being at 700 degrees in 5-10 minutes.

But for pure flavor and when I want to create an exceptional meal, I almost always go back to my tried and true wood/charcoal cookers. There is something primeval about it that you cant get from gas.

Very similar to my thoughts!

Go for it! If you want smoke flavor, get a box you can put wood chips in and put over the heat.

My Gasser is a weeknight boss. Weekends and when i have more time to play i will use charcoal. It is not so much about the prep for cook as it is the cleanup takes quite a bit longer with the charcoal grill. With gas i just scrape the grates shut it off push it back into the corner.

My natural gas grill gets most of the use on weekday evenings, especially in the winter. I keep it and one WSM on the deck under cover for all of my outdoor cooking between October and March. I use the kettle predominantly in the summer. Taking two steps onto the deck to fire up the gasser when its 20 degrees outside beats all other options I have available for outdoor cooking.

Damnit! You people aren't helping! :p

You've confirmed everything I've been thinking and I'm happy to hear that most use a gasser for the quick week day cooks, which is exactly what I'd be using it for and my egg and KBQ for the weekends.

Thank you.

Gassers have their place. Steaks, burgers, and a side burner for my chimney starter. And I am sold on grill grates. I have a POS gasser that makes great steaks with them.

no shame in a gas grill, I don't use one, but I've kicked it around

With that said, I really don't think firing up a weber kettle really takes that long. I also don't have kids

I have had a Broilmaster P3 w/ Stainless cart for 15+ years. The warranty when I purchased was lifetime on most part, especially the burner, so I have not put anything in mine since bought (except some minor shipping).

Back