lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
With the Leftovers Throwdown in progress, here:
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301861

it's time to make use of some of the leftover turkey.

Even though we attended Thanksgiving at my SIL's house, I can't let a Thanksgiving holiday go by and not have leftover turkey. I opted to get a small 11 lb bird as it was less expensive than a turkey breast. Spatchcocked it and out onto the Goldens' it went this past Friday -

mpLGinN.jpg

I gathered up the ingredients for a Turkey Pot Pie and got to work. Carrots, celery -

HkASig0.jpg

Of course, the turkey -

LEQk9bn.jpg

Start with the onions and celery to get them soft -

tih21Qn.jpg

After the onions were translucent and the celery softened I added minced garlic, followed by a few tablespoons of AP Flour. Once that was incorporated and the rawness cooked out of the flour, I added Chicken Stock and then Half and Half, allowing the mixture to thicken sufficiently. In went the carrots and diced turkey (somehow I forgot the frozen peas, so it goes) -

wf6xFNY.jpg

Store bought pie dough, egg wash and it's ready for the grill -

jSmqlG3.jpg

Double stack of grill grates to get the CI skillet high into the dome, with the Goldens' set for indirect cooking around 350F -

NE3WqTO.jpg

After about 40-45 minutes it was browning up nicely -

L71FwD2.jpg

gL7L1bn.jpg

But to get the crust looking nicely golden, I placed it under the broiler in the oven for a few minutes prior to serving -

aXmqMYE.jpg

Turkey Pot Pie is ready to eat after cooling for a few minutes -

orbaDdH.jpg

A late lunch, early dinner is ready -

mA21jvH.jpg

KTUr0ML.jpg

2QxH9Qw.jpg

This turned out excellent. The smokiness of the turkey was evident but not overwhelming, veggies were cooked to perfection and the crust was nicely browned thanks to those few extra minutes.

Thanks for following along on today's use of leftovers. One of these photos will make its way into the throwdown.

Regards,
-lunchman

Drooling, again.

Please. Will you either buy or lease a good existing restaurant location?

Or, would you prefer to design and build your own from ground up on vacant property in a location you like?

Back