Small trailer offset smokers today?

Sid Post

is Blowin Smoke!
With inflation and supply chain problems, things have probably changed significantly since the last time I looked. And, today I realize a smaller offset smoker is probably a much better choice than what I have historically looked at. I have two really nice really heavy large smokers that I could put on a trailer easily enough but, they are overkill for most of my needs these days.

Plus, I want something I can pull with a small car so, a heavy trailer pit isn't going to be an option. I can always put my other smokers on my utility trailer if I want to drag them around with my fuel hog pickup!

Is the Workhorse 1975T a good option? What is a similar size and similar price? I basically want it long enough to be a good direct flow option and wide enough to do a piglet or turkey and similar things so, 24" or a bit wider in the cooking chamber. I do have a preference for 3/8ths steel for heat retention in windy or cooler weather and want a firebox without a lip to make clean-out easier!

So,
bjPJo50.jpg

or something else?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

TIA,
Sid

p.s. My Evie Mae and Shirley are reverse flow so, I'm thinking direct flow this time for a heat "gradient" for different cooking needs in one chamber.

Looks very nice. Is the Firebox insulated

1975t Road-Worthy Offset Smoker from Workhorse Pits

The “1975t” is the trailblazing version of our largest capacity smoker, the 1975. It offers a 24" diameter chamber and firebox and has one of the thickest walls in the industry at a full 3/8 inches. Globally recognized for its stellar performance, the 1975t is the ultimate solution for large family gatherings, BBQ competitions, or commercial catering.

~$4400 so, not super cheap but attractively priced for a quality offset of similar size.

That's the one! Nothing else remotely competes in this size, quality, performance category.

Your only other option is to have your brother-in-law who owns a welding company and trailer fabrication shop make you something one off. Most don't have that option, though, so it's Workhorse.

Firebox is not insulated.

That looks like a great car-capable small trailer smoker! Love the 24" depth, 3/8" (the whole thing?!!! or just the firebox?), the wood box on the front, and the folding stack. Very nice looking package.

And, yes, the direct flow will definitely give you a heat gradient. The first ~12" will be pretty hot so you might check out some of the baffle discussions of late. I use a tall (full) water pan as my "baffle" and it works pretty well.

Last edited:
Firebox is not insulated.

A 3/8ths firebox should be plenty for my part of Texas, at least anytime I'm going to sit outside and feed splits and drink beer!!! :mrgreen:

If it's too cold for that, I'm probably going to take it inside my barn and test the Carbon Monoxide detector and put the coffee pot to work, or a most likely a percolator sitting on the firebox! :cheer2:

That looks like a great car-capable small trailer smoker! Love the 24" depth, 3/8" (the whole thing?!!! or just the firebox?), the wood box on the front, and the folding stack. Very nice looking package.

And, yes, the direct flow will definitely give you a heat gradient. The first ~12" will be pretty hot so you might check out some of the baffle discussions of late. I use a tall (full) water pan as my "baffle" and it works pretty well.

I pulled a Taxa Tiger Moth from Denver back to East Texas with a 4-cylinder Honda Accord so, a small smoker like this with less frontal area and weight should be a total "cake-walk" in any reasonable weather.

And, yes it's 3/8ths in the body and firebox, technically slightly less by a few hundredths with the steel plate he was getting last time I looked.

A 3/8ths firebox should be plenty for my part of Texas, at least anytime I'm going to sit outside and feed splits and drink beer!!! :mrgreen:

If it's too cold for that, I'm probably going to take it inside my barn and test the Carbon Monoxide detector and put the coffee pot to work, or a most likely a percolator sitting on the firebox! :cheer2:

I have a 1975 and the 3/8 firebox isn’t phased by a Northern IL winter. I actually prefer to run my pit when it’s cold out and isn’t much different than the summer.

I have a 1975 and the 3/8 firebox isn’t phased by a Northern IL winter. I actually prefer to run my pit when it’s cold out and isn’t much different than the summer.

My other fireboxes are 3/8ths and work just fine. Today, I'd only consider insulated on a huge trailer smoker, even then I likely would stop at 1/2" plate.

I love my 1975t, just wish it were bigger sometimes. Super easy to run and burns clean all the time with little effort.

It'll fit two 8lb chickens side by side with a little space away from the walls and each other. I did fit 72 pieces of leg and thighs on mine once only on bottom rack for a cook and the "hot spot" didn't affect the right side to much as bad as I thought.

I use the cowboy firebox instead of my kettle or anything else these days, since it gives the best flavor and a lot quicker to boot. Start lump with flame thrower torch, let that settle for a min, throw some pecan split or two on, let that sit about 10 mins or so, then throw steaks on and close door and count to 100, open and flip and close, count to 100-120 again, perfect med rare steak.

The 1975 is a great pit, so is the Blue Smoke Smoker by Big Phil which is what I have (and I love it! I couldn't be happier).

That said, personally, if I were going with a small trailer smoker I wouldn't go smaller than a 24x60, and even that feels a little small for a trailer. I think the optimum size for a small trailer rig is a 250 gallon. It's not huge by any stretch and is fine even for running a small cook like a single brisket and rack of ribs, but can also easily handle cooking for a gathering or small catering gig. I'm looking in to a trailered 325 gallon myself from a local builder I found who does amazing work, but I'm probably a year out on it.

I would give Big Phil a call since you're in East Texas. He does great work and he'll build you whatever you want.

With inflation and supply chain problems, things have probably changed significantly since the last time I looked. And, today I realize a smaller offset smoker is probably a much better choice than what I have historically looked at. I have two really nice really heavy large smokers that I could put on a trailer easily enough but, they are overkill for most of my needs these days.

Plus, I want something I can pull with a small car so, a heavy trailer pit isn't going to be an option. I can always put my other smokers on my utility trailer if I want to drag them around with my fuel hog pickup!

Is the Workhorse 1975T a good option? What is a similar size and similar price? I basically want it long enough to be a good direct flow option and wide enough to do a piglet or turkey and similar things so, 24" or a bit wider in the cooking chamber. I do have a preference for 3/8ths steel for heat retention in windy or cooler weather and want a firebox without a lip to make clean-out easier!

So,
bjPJo50.jpg

or something else?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

TIA,
Sid

p.s. My Evie Mae and Shirley are reverse flow so, I'm thinking direct flow this time for a heat "gradient" for different cooking needs in one chamber.

Tyler is turning out some slick general offsets too... 😁

I’m going with the 1975t as soon as they are available at their new store in April. I bought a used 1969 and have been very impressed. I spent many years cooking on high end competition trailer stick burners (Jambo and Outlaw) and feel the 1975t will be perfect for my new casual cooking needs.

Shirley's are some super nice people. If you don't mind what kind of timeframe are they quoting for you?

Different smoker models have different lead times so, I'm a bit hesitant to quote mine, in addition, it is still being finalized.

I will say they are well within my timeline request though. Your best bet is to email Tyler and see where they are in their backlog for what you want. I suspect the number of 'recreational' and 'home owner / family' orders is dropping off due to the economic reasons we are all feeling with Bidenomics but, again I can't speak for Shirley Fabrication and whether their backlog is improving or getting worse (depending on your perspective! :wink:).

Some of the builders I spoke with did comment that their backlog was at record lows due to fewer new restaurant starts and fewer homeowner sales.

Different smoker models have different lead times so, I'm a bit hesitant to quote mine, in addition, it is still being finalized.

I will say they are well within my timeline request though. Your best bet is to email Tyler and see where they are in their backlog for what you want. I suspect the number of 'recreational' and 'home owner / family' orders is dropping off due to the economic reasons we are all feeling with Bidenomics but, again I can't speak for Shirley Fabrication and whether their backlog is improving or getting worse (depending on your perspective! :wink:).

Some of the builders I spoke with did comment that their backlog was at record lows due to fewer new restaurant starts and fewer homeowner sales.

That makes sense, good to go.

I’m going with the 1975t as soon as they are available at their new store in April. I bought a used 1969 and have been very impressed. I spent many years cooking on high end competition trailer stick burners (Jambo and Outlaw) and feel the 1975t will be perfect for my new casual cooking needs.

Curious what your thoughts are on Outlaw versus Workhorse. I’m currently looking at the Outlaw Patio or Workhorse 1975.

Sid

You should probably sell me the Santa Maria to make room for the new grill.

Back