Water Smokers?

SixThreeTwoBBQ

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Brent
Hey everyone, new member, first time posting here so I hope im posting in the right place.
Im looking to eventually start a BBQ trailer and originally wanted to use an offset as my primary smoker, but I recently stumbled upon a used Southern Q 250 water smoker for a decent price, that may be changing my mind. Does anyone here have any experience using one of these smokers? I know a lot of people use the gravity fed Southern Q smokers, but I havent been able to find anyone using the water cabinet smoker. Even if not specifically a Southern Q, if you have used this style smoker, can you share what you like and dont like? Thanks!

I had a Large model Spicewine Ironworks I used as my primary smoker for my BBQ food truck. It had a massive water reservoir in the bottom...at least 10+ gallons, which worked very well to keep temps even across the entire smoker. It also helped with cleanup as I'm not a fan of using drip pans, since I believe their alter the flow air / smoke inside the cook chamber.

The biggest issues I had with these style of smokers is the same you get with a kamado...runaway temps. The only way to decrease or control this is by shutting down the vents, which makes the wood chunks (that's what I used along with the charcoal) start to smolder and put out some nasty smoke. I used a Thermworks Signals + Billows fan system and it kept temps very well for the most part.

Overall I was able to do 9 butts on each shelf, and I had 4 shelves, for a total of 36 butts. I could DEFINITELY squeeze more in, but this allowed for good airflow with a small gap between each butt. 12-15 briskets was about what I could get on there with the same gaps between meat. I did love the smoker, and it produced amazing BBQ, but my heart (and passion) were just not there when it comes to these styles of smoker.

Something else to think about from the business end is what kind of smoker with your health department allow you to use? Plenty of places will mandate that you need an NSF rated smoker, and the Southern Q 250 is not that at all. So before you buy (even if it's a good deal), get with your health department / environmental health, and make them show you in writing what they require.

All this being said good luck with whatever you choose. The ease and peace of mind with an IVC style smoker is great, but it does come with its quirks.

Thanks a ton for your input! Luckily I did already check with my health department and they actually dont mandate the use of NSF smokers surprisingly. I did end up pulling the trigger on it, I got it for $2250 and it came with a 10x6 trailer. Im planning on using the Thermoworks set up as well, so hopefully that will control temps. Were you able to burn wood only with this set up, or did it primarily run best with charcoal and wood chunks? I figured at the end of the day it was the most practical set up for a food truck at that price. I will use my offset at home when i have the time to tend to a fire a bit more closely.

Wow, that does sound like an amazing deal!

I only used lump charcoal and wood chunks on my IVC. I did try doing wood splits once but there just wasn't anywhere near enough airflow (even with the firebox door wide open). Give it a shot and see what happens...I've never used a Southern Q, but they do appear to be similar in design to other IVC's I've used.

Back