If not a Shirley 250G trailer traditional flow smoker, who?

Sid Post

is Blowin Smoke!
To be honest and upfront, I am talking with Shirley Fabrication about a trailer but, wait times at the moment are a consideration.

I am looking towards Primitive Pits outside of Atlanta and Austin Smoke Works. My goal is a reasonable size trailer that is easy to pull so, sheltered enclosed trailer options or unreasonable large dual-axle trailer options. I am picky on trailer construction so a perfect smoker on a terrible trailer in not even a remote consideration.

I would really appreciate some pictures and reviews on 250G traditional flow smokers with approximate current pricing and delivery lead times.

TIA,
Sid

I contacted several different builders last year, Primitive Pits had the best price I found from a big name builder for the config I was looking at, I think at the time the wait was 6-9 months or somewhere in there.

Last edited:
Sid, did you know that there is a Shirley Fabrication Smokers Buy-Sell group on Facebook? I have seen quite a few trailer smokers on there recently. I don't know if it is still available but there was a 250-gallon traditional flow listed there recently.

Just curious if you've considered contacting East Texas Smoker Company?? I'm not sure they offer traditional flow - last I knew they were big on reverse flow.

The Austin Smokeworks and Moberg 250's i've cooked on are great pits.

Millscale was not taking order's for 250's when i inquired a few years ago.

I love our 250 Moberg and I am impressed with how efficient she runs. Worth a serious look.

Sid, did you know that there is a Shirley Fabrication Smokers Buy-Sell group on Facebook? I have seen quite a few trailer smokers on there recently. I don't know if it is still available but there was a 250-gallon traditional flow listed there recently.

I got there periodically but, never noticed a traditional flow 250G smoker.

I'm not much of a Facebook user though so, it is certainly possible I missed one.

Just curious if you've considered contacting East Texas Smoker Company?? I'm not sure they offer traditional flow - last I knew they were big on reverse flow.

I have had them do some work for me in the past. Their full builds haven't really appealed to me personally though, I know a lot of people like them. They also seem to be most focused on larger vendor smokers like you see at a State Fair and similar events.

The Austin Smokeworks and Moberg 250's i've cooked on are great pits.

Millscale was not taking order's for 250's when i inquired a few years ago.

Those are all top-quality smokers but, are way out of my price range by a wide margin. CenTex also is significantly expensive.

I have been to ASW's shop and really liked what I saw. I have been around the larger Moberg smokers so, I have no doubts a smaller one would be a top-tier choice. Mill Scale for whatever reason I have seen in person much.

I'm in early discussions with Shirley Fabrication and it looks like that is the direction I am going at the moment after some initial email exchanges. Details are still being discussed and worked out so, it is not a done deal yet but something significant would have to happen to get me to commit somewhere else right now.

I could also go with any of the other options listed here for either a higher purchase price and similar delivery date, or a similar price with similar features delivered much later so I would basically miss this entire BBQ season.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4695359#post4695359

My original thoughts started with a Workhorse 1975T. For a small trailer option with enough capacity for most people not into commercial catering, its 24" diameter 'pipe' body is pretty good. With a likely delivery date in 2025, not a viable option for me, at least not one I am willing to wait for.

Ultimately, I decided the larger diameter of a 250G propane tank was beneficial and a little extra length was a bonus. What it won't have is a 3/8ths inch body. And, options and add-ons are more flexible if you want them.

Back