THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Debmar

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
shoe
Pretty new to the smoking game but enjoying it. Was wondering the following yesterday as I reverse seared some steaks on the UDS / Gas Grill . (sorry, ate them too quickly to get any pics, next time for sure)

What is the best value in BBQ regarding cost per amount of food produced. As in some cuts are not that much $ but maybe you need more per person to make a meal while others might be big $ but end volume produced will feed a crowd?

wondering what you more experienced smokers have determined to be the best value in smoking?

PS: really, I can speak English, just apparently can't type it, I tried editing my post title but couldn't, was trying to say "whats" the best

Last edited:
Here i think turkey is about 2/3 cost of chicken
Just bought one but haven't done one yet
Thats based on price per lb so maybe meat yield is different
That was just last time i was in the store, maybe thats not normal

As finished weight I’d say boneless skinless thighs, very cheap and not as much loss (no bone and not as much fat cooks out) as some other meats.

Pretty new to the smoking game but enjoying it. Was wondering the following yesterday as I reverse seared some steaks on the UDS / Gas Grill . (sorry, ate them too quickly to get any pics, next time for sure)

What is the best value in BBQ regarding cost per amount of food produced. As in some cuts are not that much $ but maybe you need more per person to make a meal while others might be big $ but end volume produced will feed a crowd?

wondering what you more experienced smokers have determined to be the best value in smoking?

PS: really, I can speak English, just apparently can't type it, I tried editing my post title but couldn't, was trying to say "whats" the best

I’m not sure what the prices are in Winnipeg, but around here th best bang for the buck is probably pork butts. I just paid $1.79US/pound for butts. Next option is probably chicken.

BTW, you can edit the post title by using the ‘Go Advanced’ option.

Per pound, turkey is a great deal too, especially after Thanksgiving. I bought two 23+lb turkeys a week after Thanksgiving for $0.38 cents a pound. That's a steal but I think most people dont want to tangle with a bird that big on the holiday so they mark it down considerably when it doesn't sell. I usually wait and grab a couple every year.

A deep freezer! Stock up on butts when 0.99/lb, turkey at 0.38 as mentioned, brisket at 1.99, whole chickens at 0.70, etc.

I will concur that pork butts are the best value and delicious to boot!

Me gut reaction is pork butts with Chicken a close second, but something is ALWAYS on sale. I cook whatever is cheap. Sometimes it’s ribs, sometimes chicken or pork. On rare occasions it’s beef.

The sale rack determines what I’m cooking week to week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aside from pork butt or chicken...

Probably pork tenderloin. Around here it’s $2.99 lb. It’s cheaper than boneless skinless chicken breasts/thighs now.

Hardly any fat or waste and no bones.

Back