What is the current Smoker Du'Jour

fat_bastard

Knows what a fatty is.
When I started smoking back in 2009, the UDS was the big thing in smoking. Cheap, reliable, easy, and came with the satisfaction that you built it yourself. My 2 UDS served me very well for many years but have gone to that great rust bucket in the sky. I am starting the process to build another UDS but I am wondering what smokers are in that sweet spot of price/performance/ease of use now-a-days. It looks like most everyone is getting commercial smokers anymore instead of building, so what's hot right now? I could never drop more than $1k and I'll never need a ton of capacity (never more than about 10 people). So what's out there?

Last edited:
The "itch" for something new/different is strong.

Right now, it seems every store has a pellet cooker at price points from down right affordable all the way to borderline ludicrous.
Pellet cookers have made believers out of many a "never pooper" - even Mister Smitty finally gave in. And that's the direction I might lean if in your shoes.

The thing that holds me back is that I did cut my teeth on a UDS and it has done everything I've asked of it. Simple, trouble free, affordable- I can't imagine a better cooker- different? yes more modern? yes looking like something other than a trash bin? yes. But "better"? - no.

Good luck in your search.

Just my opy. Nothing, no cooker I've ever had nor hope to have can beat food cooked in a drum. To me it's the perfect sweet spot of smoked and grilled. I've been contemplating a PBC Jr. I like small cookers. If I were doing charities, cook offs,pop ups etc big would be Grand. 99.9% of what I cook is me an The Bride and still have food to gift to those unwilling or unable to cook smoked meat.

Cooker of the day??. I'm not sure

I have witnessed many “Trends”.UDS, BGE,other Creamics,Pellet Cookers. They all have their place but you will never,ever,ever replicate the taste of meat cooked on an offset stick burner in my opinion.I know there are those in the direct heat camp but it ain’t me.I have and cook on them all.Caveat,,,there are a few things I prefer cooked over direct heat than offset but not many.

I think for now, I'm going to stick to the UDS. I know that the pellet cookers are super easy and do a good job, but I agree with 16Adams that the drum will do everything I need it to and save me $900 to boot.

One day though, I will build/buy myself an offset though. I've drooled over those forever. Always dreamt of buying one of those giant propane tanks that service an entire area and turn it into an 18-wheeler sized smoker that can be pulled around the country for fairs, charities, etc.

Blue Smoke Smokers

If you can stretch to $1700....the barebones 3/4" thick metal offset from Blue Smoke Smokers should be a good choice:

https://bluesmokesmokers.com

I've got one on order and other members of the forum have them and give rave reviews.

Trouble is, if you not close to TX....the shipping will kill you.

I'm anxiously awaiting mine in mid Sept....just in time for football season!!

;)

cayenne

Back