Q: Anyone done sweet potatoes on the griddle?

BDAABAT

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bruce
Howdy all! Quick question: anyone do sweet potatoes on the griddle?

Reason for the question. I'm hosting Thanksgiving. Oven space will be at a premium. Ordinarily, I'd make a baked sweet potato dish as part of the meal. BUT, if there isn't room in the oven, am looking for alternative methods for prep.

Am wondering if I can utilize the Blackstone griddle for doing a sweet potato side dish, ideally one that isn't sweet potato fries.

Would it make sense to dice the sweet potatoes so they cook relatively quickly in some butter, warm spices, then finish with some maple syrup to make a glaze?

Thanks in advance!
Bruce

we've done them in a pan before, i'm sure it's similar to using the griddle just never tried 'em on ours

slice them kinda thin (thicker than a potato chip tho) like on a mandolin so they are consistent, butter for food lube, low temp, they will carmelize around the edges of course. it's not my favorite prep of sweet potatoes but it's serviceable. dressing it up with the right glaze/additions should help

can you run em on the smoker?? if you dont want smoke on 'em foil wrap them

that's all i got :cheers:

Thanks for the suggestions!

@ Dave: good thought! I'm thinking that the slow cooker will be occupied with the mashed potatoes.

@ Tony: I'd considered smoking them. Unfortunately, several folks attending the festivities are not fans of smoke. I know, it's hard to believe, but there are some folks out there that just don't enjoy the taste. More unfortunate, I happen to be married to one (and, her parents are not fans either, and they'll be attending).

Since it seems doable, there is only one thing to do: Will try a small batch this weekend and see how it goes.

Thanks!
Bruce

I do them on the grill....could use a griddle may be easier.

Precook SP's until almost done(I use microwave you could do in oven a day ahead of time)...peel and cut in to rounds. Brush with dijon and honey mixture..sprinkle a lil rosemary and cook just enough to char a little. You would probably need a lil olive oil to keep from sticking.

Do you have a gas grill? Are you looking to make them as mashed or cubed? In a foil covered pan could be done in a gasser with just one burner tube going?

Bob

Recommend a quick microwave first then smash them just a bit (not much) to flatten them out a bit while still keeping some shape.

Grill them screaming hot on the Blackstone WITH DUCK FAT and you'll be hero!

Cheers!

Bill

Back