Prime Rib Roast Birthday Dinner for the Mrs.

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
For Mrs lunchman's Birthday today, a special dinner. We bought this for Christmas dinner, never got around to making it. Thought about it for New Year's Day, it remained in the freezer. It was definitely going on the grill for her birthday.

But first, this morning, her favorite bread. No-knead recipe, Cinnamon Raisin Walnut Cranberry, which I've promised to make for some time (I need to remember to stuff those outermost raisins into the dough next time) -

GObz5h6.jpg

K2K1tB8.jpg

Back to the Prime Rib roast, bone-in, which I separated and tied back onto the roast. I dry brined it, starting two days ago and seasoned it this afternoon with Worcestershire, Black Pepper and Oakridge Carne Crosta -

c71X9C1.jpg

Out onto the Goldens', indirect and for some odd reason I kept it in a baking pan. Not sure why, all it did was make for a difficult to clean glass baking dish -

sJLqg3z.jpg

Not sure how much time it actually took, but I pulled it at an internal temp of 120F and let it rest for a bit -

AVwIb7k.jpg

Some nice slabs for each of us -

VE01QVi.jpg

jOgNOp7.jpg

Nice bones -

aLI7LzY.jpg

Plated with roasted cauliflower and potatoes -

HtM3lNN.jpg

2CdCMeb.jpg

As good as it looks (hopefully you like it rare like we do) and my wife was very happy with her birthday dinner!

Thanks for checking out this post.

Regards,
-lunchman

Thats one heck of a way to treat your wife.
happy Birthday to the lucky lady

Oh my. What a wonderful meal to celebrate a special day. Not to downplay that fantastic lookin' prime rib roast and plate..... will you share any more details on that bread? Mrs ~t~ has bumped up her bread baking this last year and this could be a great addition to the mix.

One more question.... what's the skinny on the oval cast iron roaster?? and do you use that for sourdough bread?

Edit - I see you said "glass" baking pan.

Happy birthday to your wife and you certainly cooked a great looking meal to celebrate. That is restaurant quality, hands down!

Oh my. What a wonderful meal to celebrate a special day. Not to downplay that fantastic lookin' prime rib roast and plate..... will you share any more details on that bread? Mrs ~t~ has bumped up her bread baking this last year and this could be a great addition to the mix.

It's from the Jim Lahey no-knead bread book, "My Bread." It's his Walnut Bread recipe, aka Pan Co Santi. A Google search should turn up the recipe, here it is on The Kitchn website:

https://www.thekitchn.com/pan-cosanti-walnut-bread-from-104200

A really simple bread to bake, mix the ingredients, let the dough rise overnight, bake it the next day in a cast iron Dutch oven. My only addition are dried cranberries.

I've been making so much sourdough I'd forgotten about some of the great recipes in this book.

-Dom

Last edited:
Back