First Prime Rib for family Christmas

okiej

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Jeff
I love prime rib, but have never cooked one before because it’s pricey and my wife won’t even look at rare beef. We do something different for Christmas every year and when she asked What I wanted to do, I said Prime rib and was amazed when she said OKAY. She added crab legs and shrimp.
7# 3 bone with bones cut and tied on by my local butcher. I rubbed the night before with a compound butter of Naturiffic Q-Salt, Montreal Steak, and a bit of Kosher salt. Next morning I set out the roast while I heated the Shirley smoker to 250. Smoked roast till 120 IT. Pulled and tented for 30 minutes while I fired up the Weber kettle to sear. Seared for a couple minutes a side. Came out great. Will definitely do again. Wasn’t planning a post so excuse the pictures, I was busy and lucky to get any.

Attachments

• IMG_7147.jpg
    IMG_7147.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_7148.jpg
    IMG_7148.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_7151.jpg
    IMG_7151.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_7152.jpg
    IMG_7152.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_7153.jpg
    IMG_7153.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_7154.jpg
    IMG_7154.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_7155.jpg
    IMG_7155.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 304
Nice hunk of beef and most importantly you nailed it. Perfect timing for the Beef TD too. :grin:

Nice. I just bought a 17 lb whole prime rib, boned and tied also. Gonna do it on the LSG stickburner day after Christmas (in the freezer for now).

How long did that one take at 250?

Looks great! I did my first prime rib for Christmas last year. It was a hit, and now am on the hook for it every year!

bowhnter: She ate the crab legs and shrimp. She's not big on beef anyway, says it's always tough

Man that looks good! I have been wanting to try one and after seeing that, it is definitely happening.

You nailed it! That looks awesome. I plan on doing 2, 7#ers on Christmas. I like the idea of the shrimp, I may be adding that to the menu.

Stupendous, this is as good as it gets!

Question:

That beef is beautifully marbled - where'd you get it?

I have two words…

Hubba…Hubba!

And some more words…that looks fantastic! I’ve got 3 full, seven bone cuts, about 18/19# each. Got them when they were on sale some time ago. Now I’m gonna have to get one out.��
Very nicely done!

Last edited:
Moose: Local Butcher. Circle S Meats. We're in there a lot

Last edited:
Back