Porkstrami Using A Boneless Butt

Outstanding. That looks and sounds amazing. Love pastrami. Have never used pork for it

The curing brine is still a work in progress. Because of the flavors I have a feeling it will be good for corning beef as well. Short ribs are on the list for sure. I want to do at least two more roasts in order to fine tune the ingredients. Especially the salt. But below is the prototype brine. I'm using an optional phosphate injection step that many might want to skip. So I'll likely modify the recipe and instructions to go either way.

Basing it off of one gallon of Pop's Brine is for simplicity and safety in mind. Adding assorted aromatics will hopefully make it really easy to corn meat that actually tastes 'corned', not just 'cured' with a few pickling spices sprinkled in. Here is a peek at the ingredients in the brine I used this time:

Porkstrami ~ A work in progress​

Boneless pork butt, cut in half or thirds.
112 ounces of water
16 ounces of beer
125g canning salt (reduce this?)
30g white sugar
4 tablespoons pickling spice (maybe reduce to 3T)
1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
6 bay leaves
1 tablespoon Old Bay
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
1 tablespoon crushed ginger
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cloves

22g Cure #1 (note: this is added after the brine has cooled back down)

OPTIONAL: AmesPhos – this is calculated at 1.8 g/lb of meat weight and mixed into an amount of brine that equals 10% of the meat weight.

Pastrami seasoning - thirdeye recipe (or a 50:50 mixture of pastrami seasoning and thirdeye's Garlic Pepper blend)

Porkstrami Round 2

I've made another Porkstrami, and there are some changes in the recipe. I lowered the salt, reduced the pickling spices, and added dwell time to the injected meat before it goes into the corning brine. looking forward to using this method to corn beef, and I might do a pork loin to see how sliceable that is for making Pork Rueben's

The previous porkstrami I cut into smaller roasts, this time I did a 7# boneless butt.
yikT333.jpg

z0O74du.jpg

Porkstrami ~ Round 2 ~ A work in progress

Boneless pork butt
112 ounces of water
16 ounces of beer
80g canning salt
30g white sugar
3 tablespoons pickling spice
1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
6 bay leaves
1 tablespoon Old Bay
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
1 tablespoon crushed ginger
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cloves

22g Cure #1 (note: this is added after the brine has cooled back down)
AmesPhos – this is calculated at 1.8 g/lb of meat weight and mixed into an amount of brine that equals 10% of the meat weight.

Pastrami seasoning - thirdeye recipe (or a 50:50 mixture of pastrami seasoning and thirdeye's Garlic Pepper blend)

Instructions
Day 1 - Combine all ingredients EXCEPT Cure #1 and AmesPhos, into a stock pot. Slowly bring up to a simmer and cook for 1 hour. Do not let this mixture come to a boil. Allow to cool on the stovetop, then refrigerate overnight. De-bone pork butt and slice into thick roast(s), tie with string so it holds it’s shape.

Day 2 – Strain the brine. Add the Cure #1 to the chilled brine and mix very well. Measure an amount of brine equal to 10% of the meat weight (for example: 2000g of meat needs 200g of brine for injecting). Calculate the amount of AmesPhos (1.8 g/lb of meat) and mix it into the 200g of brine. Inject the brine into the meat. Hold meat in a plastic bag for about 8 to 10 hours so the phosphate can start to work. Then add the meat into the covering brine, and cure for 13 days, agitating the liquid daily. Remove meat from brine rinse and soak about an hour. Pat the meat dry, add pastrami seasoning. Rest in the refrigerator 12 to 18 hours.

Day 3 – Smoke the meat up to 5 or 6 hours or until it gets a nice color and the internal is ~160°. Move to pressure cooker with some pork broth. Process for 35 minutes, then use natural release. Check tenderness and if needed…. Process again for 5 or 6 minutes.

Back