oldgfbbq

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
G-man
This cook thread is for a Throwdown entry. If you are not familiar,
multiple opportunities per month to compete on an informal basis,
but mainly to exchange ideas that might be of interest of others.
Check out the Throwdown thread withing Q Talk.

It has been a long time since a pot of gumbo was on the stove.

And like so many others, my weight is a little higher than preferred.

How could I make Chicken & Sausage Gumbo in a healthy way?

It occurred to me, no gumbo worth cooking could be healthy,

but it could be made less unhealthy. Four changes came to mind:

1. roux without oil
  2. skinless chicken
  3. turkey sausage
  4. more vegetables
G-Man’s Less Unhealthy Chicken & Sausage Gumbo

Ingredients

1 Cup Flour
1 Bunch Green onions
1 1/2 Cup Sweet Onion, chopped
1 1/2 Cup Celery, choppped
1 1/2 Cup Bell Pepper, chopped
32 oz x 2 Chicken Stock, fat free
8 Each Chicken drumsticks
12-16 Oz Turkey Sausage, quartered and sliced
10-12 Oz Kale, chopped
10-12 Oz Asparagus, chopped

Directions
1. Place flour on sheet pan, cover with aluminum foil, bake at 370 degrees, stirring/mixing every 15 minutes, until color of peanut butter or darker. Should take about two hours.
2. Remove skin from chicken, place in skillet to render fat.
3. Brine skinless chicken in 1/4 cup Cajun seasoning per quart of water. Remove from brine without rinsing after 30-35 minutes.
4. Quarter lengthwise and slice turkey sausage, brown in skillet with rendered chicken fat. Move to gumbo pot when done.
5. Chop onion, celery, and bell pepper. Saute in skillet, move to gumbo pot when done.
6. Add a quart of chicken stock, 1 Tbs Cajun seasoning, and 3/4 cup browned flour to gumbo pot when finished in oven. Bring to boil over medium heat.
7. Brown chicken on grill until desired color and marks are achieved.
8. Simmer chicken in gumbo pot for an hour on low.
9. Chop kale and asparagus.
10. Remove chicken from pot, add kale and asparagus.
11. While greens are cooking, de-bone chicken, shred, then return to pot. Add seasoning and/or browned flour if needed.
12. Cook rice if desired.
13. Thinly slice green onion tops.
Plating
Add gumbo to bowl, add scoop of rice with sprinkle of Cajun seasoning and parsley. Garnish with green onion slices.
Photos & Comments
Note color of flour before baking, browning without oil make color changes subtle.

I used drumsticks, but thighs would work as well. A slice in the skin helped removal, minimizing damage to meat.

Any Cajun seasoning will suffice. I used "Slap Ya Mama" on this batch for brine and seasoning in pot.

Chicken is getting happy.

Here is the turkey sausage in skillet. No need to remove chicken skin, as it continues to render fat that may be needed.

The size of the chopped vegis is not critical, but should be consistent and appropriate for "falling apart" chicken at end of cook.

In this cook, I used green, red and yellow peppers. Normally I cook the vegis in oil based roux. But in this "Less Unhealthy" batch, I used the chicken fat to add flavor.

Here is the color of the browned flour I used. My oven has a light convection fan that blows to create even baking temps, and is much softer blowing than a regular convection setting. It's probably great for cookies or casseroles, but terrible for browning uncovered flour. If your oven does not have this feature, browning the flour uncovered should speed the process. I went with this color thinking it appropriate for a lighter gumbo offering.

Here are the vegis, sausage, and flour prior to adding chicken stock.

While the gumbo pot is heating up, grill/brown chicken. Chicken does not need to be fully done at this point and will finish cooking in gumbo pot. Breasts were for a different dish. They just don't stand up to all the other flavors floating around the gumbo pot.

After browning, into the pot (with bones) for an hour.

When prepping the kale, remove stems from leaves if they are present. Nutritionally, there is not much difference between kale, asparagus and okra. I think the asparagus adds less slimy texture than okra. In addition, okra seeds share a common characteristic with corn kernels. But if you like okra, use it instead.

Here I removed any undesirable pieces of the chicken legs and broke it up using my fingers.

Here is what the finished gumbo looks like in the pot.

Dinner is served! Chicken and Sausage Gumbo. Dessert is grilled pineapple with 2% fat yogurt topped with Agave-Chipotle wing sauce.

Enjoy!

In this cook, I......
- could have gone darker on the roux, thought lighter might be better with chicken and turkey
- added a red and yellow bell pepper for color and lightness of flavor.
- used Hillshire Farm Turkey Polska Kielbasa Sausage, rather than chicken/turkey andouille
- believe cutting sausage smaller creates more surface area to absorb chicken flavor from skillet
- used Kirkland Signature Organic Chicken Stock
- believe the flavor of asparagus does not stand up to Cajun seasoning, but adds..."texture".
- could easily use bone-in, skin-on thighs, but got a good deal on drumsticks
- added limited chicken stock at end of cook, stored in more concentrated form, added stock when reheated.

Thanks for looking!

I wondered how I missed this, but I saw that you posted at 1:00 a.m., some of us are sleeping at that time, but I guarantee you I'd wake up for a bowl of that. Very nice job!

Sign me up!!! Looks delicious, only thing I might do different is maybe add shrimp, but that’s definitely not required! Btw, how did it taste? I don’t think I saw you mention that anywhere…

Sign me up!!! Looks delicious, only thing I might do different is maybe add shrimp, but that’s definitely not required! Btw, how did it taste? I don’t think I saw you mention that anywhere…

Short version - I made a batch a couple of weeks ago using traditional roux and the same vegetables. They tasted virtually the same, with slight difference in level of browning of the flour. The kale and asparagus, like okra, do not have bold enough flavors to really stand up to all the Cajun spices, IMHO.

My family actually ate more seafood gumbo than chicken/sausage when I was a kid in Southeast, Texas. However, we didn't mix ingredients between the two. I have had shrimp in chicken/sausage gumbo, but just didn't consider adding any.

More detail version
I was running low on time when making the second batch with oven browned flour, so it was not as dark as the first batch of real roux. The first batch of roux took 1.25 hours. The oven browned flour took about 2 hours, and required more to get the flavor right. The covering of pan with aluminum foil is due to our new oven having a small convection fan on the regular "Bake" cycle. I ruined one batch of oven flour by letting it cook too long. Every time I opened the door, clouds of flour would ride the hot air out of the oven, into the kitchen and family room. I didn't want flour in the house or convection blower. So that is why I suggested to cook it covered.

The Vegetables - sometimes okra can create too much slime, so I thought asparagus would offer similar texture, just not as much. From a nutrition point of view, there really isn't any difference, but one might feel better cutting up fresh kale. I didn't use spinach because I thought the leaves would be too delicate and fall apart.

A "cook thread" for the first batch is here, if interested.

Thanks!

OP what makes you think the oil is unhealthy? Actually the flour is worse for you than the oil. The fiberless carbs are the killer in roux. If you want to make roux healthier use whole wheat flour.

OP what makes you think the oil is unhealthy? Actually the flour is worse for you than the oil. The fiberless carbs are the killer in roux. If you want to make roux healthier use whole wheat flour.

Not really sure, thought it was considered fat, but I may have just learned something. Thanks

Please do not take this as disrespect because that dish of yours looks awesome and I swear I can smell it from here but please, for the love of God, do not ever call anything that has kale in it a gumbo. Maybe some type of stew yes but, never gumbo.

Please do not take this as disrespect because that dish of yours looks awesome and I swear I can smell it from here but please, for the love of God, do not ever call anything that has kale in it a gumbo. Maybe some type of stew yes but, never gumbo.

No disrespect perceived. I treated the throwdown like cooking for someone with dietary restrictions or a contest. I've never made chicken/sausage gumbo like this in my life. Even my mother gave me grief. :-D But traditional gumbo would not comport with Throwdown rules, which was the task I undertook. Another Throwdown variation was to brine and grill the chicken. I will probably never make it again, but the challenge was fun and it's nice to know that if I can't find okra in New England, there are other options that can work.

I see you are from LA and I'm a Texan. But I have spent enough time in SW LA to know Natchitoches has a nice Christmas light display and the town name is pronounced "Nak a tish". I apologize for taking poetic license with the concept of gumbo that offended you. :-D

No disrespect perceived. I treated the throwdown like cooking for someone with dietary restrictions or a contest. I've never made chicken/sausage gumbo like this in my life. Even my mother gave me grief. :-D But traditional gumbo would not comport with Throwdown rules, which was the task I undertook. Another Throwdown variation was to brine and grill the chicken. I will probably never make it again, but the challenge was fun and it's nice to know that if I can't find okra in New England, there are other options that can work.

I see you are from LA and I'm a Texan. But I have spent enough time in SW LA to know Natchitoches has a nice Christmas light display and the town name is pronounced "Nak a tish". I apologize for taking poetic license with the concept of gumbo that offended you. :-D

Its all good!

Back