THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think I had gumbo once... at Applebee's. Shrimp, as I recall.

Then you didn't have gumbo...lol.

I'm smack in the heart of Cajun country and have a family tree filled with Cajun last names y'all probably can't pronounce. I make quite a bit of gumbo and Jambalaya, but probably make gumbo more often, and when I make gumbo I tend to make big batches because it freezes very well.

I make a dark roux and I like my gumbo with a lot of roux. I'm picky about my sausages, I use both smoked and fresh sausage in my gumbo and Jambalaya, for smoked I use Rabideaux's, for fresh sausage I use some from a little specialty meat market near me.

I incorporate smoking into my gumbos a lot. I'm now in the habit of making my own chicken stock, using a lot of wings because they are rich in collogen and I smoke my wings before making the stock.

My rule for gumbo, jambalaya and just about anything else is never waste flavor, and never add anything to the pot that doesn't add flavor. If I'm making a seafood gumbo, the shrimp and crab shells are used for stock. If I'm making a meat gumbo, after browning the chicken and sausage, the rendered oil is used in the roux.

And tomatoes NEVER go in my gumbo or jambalaya although I will make smothered okra with Rotel tomatoes and I willuse tomatoes in a courtboullion or sauce picante, but those are all dishes of another color.
Here's a couple of threads I did on gumbo and jambalaya

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301768

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302532

Seriously though, don't let places like Applebees, TGI Fridays or whatever color your opinion of what Cajun food is actually like, That would be like forming an impression of what all Mexican food is like base on Taco Bell.

A seafood gumbo going on

Edited to add: Cowgirl, I make a crawfish bisque, stuffed heads and all, for Easter every year, it's a multi day process but oh so worth
VuGfRZw.jpg

MHgM1R4.jpg

fxixpW0.jpg

zmQLPCa.jpg

Last edited:
I think I like both, but I just wanted to post this:

71eb1e4f1b1f2bfc6f5efded00b518f5.jpg

NOTE: Spelling error; not my meme

Yes

Seems the heat has moved on and fall weather is starting to move in. So in addition to Chili (without beans of course) there are two other fall dishes that come to mind.

Are you a fan of Gumbo or Jambalaya? And which version? Cajun (no maters) or Creole (with maters)? And the thickener? Filé powder or okra?

I'm a fan of Cajun gumbo with filé powder. What say The Brethren?

Gumbo or Jambalaya......the answer is YES.

Whichever way you wanna fix it...I'm good with that too.

I don't put okra into my chicken and andouille gumbo....but often do in seafood gumbo.

With my jambalaya...again, I like it however someone fixes it, but myself, I generally put at least one small can of tomato sauce in mine.

Just throw things WAY into the weird-o-sphere....I've been experimenting with doing Jambalaya with steel cut oats instead of rice!?!?!

Believe it or not, I'm getting some really good results there.

cayenne

Always have okra but will also sprinkle a li'l file on top. Call it Tex-jun.

Mostly cook chicken and sausage gumbo, aka Gumbo Ya-Ya here. Got into it when working night shift and had several coworkers allergic/didn't like seafood. Plus it was cheaper and held up better in a crock pot running for several hours.

Yes

I’d swim in that!

Legit!

I also smoke the chicken and use the bones for stock.

I’d have a real problem if I lived where you do.

Baton Rouge was a possibility when we were looking at VA facilities for my wife to work. I told her if we moved there I’d be one of those people you see on TV getting sawed out of their house because they are too big to fit through the door.

Then you didn't have gumbo...lol.

I'm smack in the heart of Cajun country and have a family tree filled with Cajun last names y'all probably can't pronounce. I make quite a bit of gumbo and Jambalaya, but probably make gumbo more often, and when I make gumbo I tend to make big batches because it freezes very well.

I make a dark roux and I like my gumbo with a lot of roux. I'm picky about my sausages, I use both smoked and fresh sausage in my gumbo and Jambalaya, for smoked I use Rabideaux's, for fresh sausage I use some from a little specialty meat market near me.

I incorporate smoking into my gumbos a lot. I'm now in the habit of making my own chicken stock, using a lot of wings because they are rich in collogen and I smoke my wings before making the stock.

My rule for gumbo, jambalaya and just about anything else is never waste flavor, and never add anything to the pot that doesn't add flavor. If I'm making a seafood gumbo, the shrimp and crab shells are used for stock. If I'm making a meat gumbo, after browning the chicken and sausage, the rendered oil is used in the roux.

And tomatoes NEVER go in my gumbo or jambalaya although I will make smothered okra with Rotel tomatoes and I willuse tomatoes in a courtboullion or sauce picante, but those are all dishes of another color.
Here's a couple of threads I did on gumbo and jambalaya

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301768

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302532

Seriously though, don't let places like Applebees, TGI Fridays or whatever color your opinion of what Cajun food is actually like, That would be like forming an impression of what all Mexican food is like base on Taco Bell.

A seafood gumbo going on

Edited to add: Cowgirl, I make a crawfish bisque, stuffed heads and all, for Easter every year, it's a multi day process but oh so worth
VuGfRZw.jpg

MHgM1R4.jpg

fxixpW0.jpg

zmQLPCa.jpg

Last edited:
I make an excellent Jambalaya, and it's certainly less time and labor than Gumbo, but I'll usually pick Gumbo anytime because I just love to do it.

Always a Roux, obviously. Always Okra. I use File as a condiment sprinkled into my bowl at the table, along with a fistful of cold Green Onions and a sprinkling of hot sauce.

I also put a few Tomatoes in my pot, so put me in the Creole camp.

I like Jambalaya just a little more but Gumbo is good stuff too. Just pulled 10lbs of homemade Andouille sausage off the pit. Looking forward to making Jambalaya, Gumbo and Red beans and rice with it. Love this time of year.

Wow

I like Jambalaya just a little more but Gumbo is good stuff too. Just pulled 10lbs of homemade Andouille sausage off the pit. Looking forward to making Jambalaya, Gumbo and Red beans and rice with it. Love this time of year.

*DROOL*

Is this a home recipe you have for andouille? If so, can you share it?

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

More on gumbo:

Served properly, it is served in a wide bowl with a scoop of rice on top.

If you want to go extra Cajun, serve it with a scoop of potato salad instead.

I go with a medium dark roux, file and no tomatoes. I use a homemade reduced chicken stock as well. I think the stock is key to really putting it over the top. My favorite is chicken/andouille. My dad puts a can of Rotel and I like that too, I just don't do it.

Herbie K's
Alexandria Louisiana late '70's

Gumbo -Dark roux in dark atmosphere. You never knew what was going to surface from the depths on the spoon. Always a petite oyster and a pincher from something. Served with toasted garlic rounds. I've never had better. Rumor had it some small batch gumbo places had Gaspargou, Gar, carp, snapping turtle and nutria. All good

Last edited:
Back