THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I grew up and lived around the upper Texas Gulf Coast until my mid-20s, gear fishing bays, surf, and deep sea. Only discovered fly fishing in 2006 after moving to New England. I'm anxious to get back to fly fishing for reds and specs. A good friend has been fly fishing a few years and has started throwing 8-10 weights with short leader and live shrimp along jettys around Galveston/Crystal beach. Looks like you got it dialed in. Thanks for the info.

Nice job Red. Turkey gumbo is one of those secrets most people outside of Louisiana don't know about.

I used to ask the neighbors to save their carcasses for stock.

I can make a good roux, but have never mastered hot-n-fast. I take about 45 min to make mine.

I grew up and lived around the upper Texas Gulf Coast until my mid-20s, gear fishing bays, surf, and deep sea. Only discovered fly fishing in 2006 after moving to New England. I'm anxious to get back to fly fishing for reds and specs. A good friend has been fly fishing a few years and has started throwing 8-10 weights with short leader and live shrimp along jettys around Galveston/Crystal beach. Looks like you got it dialed in. Thanks for the info.

While the shirt is from Houston I’m in Louisiana. Remember the best fishing inbTexss is in Louisiana….. Shrimp on a fly rod is heresy.

I was taught to dial the temp down as the roux gets darker but I never had the patience or guts to do that dark. I will next time!

While the shirt is from Houston I’m in Louisiana. Remember the best fishing inbTexss is in Louisiana….. Shrimp on a fly rod is heresy.

We fished in/from SW Louisiana plenty of times. I remember passing a fish processing plant close to Cameron. It was a horrible smell. My dad told us that if God gave the world an enema, Cameron is where He would stick the tube. :-D

I wondered about the shrimp. But people up here put 50 feet of 20lb mono on their fly line and call it a leader. I'm not down with that. And, the old school trout purists don't think much of streamer fishing either. I comfortable letting others fish the way they like without judgement, much the same way I feel about bbq. Thanks again for the info.

That looks phenomenal! It's hard to tell from a picture how dark a roux really is. I cooked some gumbo a week ago and I tried to take some pictures. Somehow the next to last picture I took looks darker than when I finished. But I know for a fact I don't get it that dark.

Back