New Stick Burner Help

Headgear

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
David
I recently got my first stick burner (which I love!!!) and the smoke flavor is absolutely wonderful compared to the other smokers that I have had over the years. But this is a whole new deal, fire management... I have done three cooks: one rack of spare ribs, one brisket, and a couple of racks of ST Louis cut ribs in that order. What I am concerned about is the top surface, especially on the ribs, was dry and chewy.

I think there are two possibilities. One, lower the temperature or reduce the cooking time. I read Franklin Barbeque's book where he says he likes to smoke at 270 degrees in all of his cookers. So I tried it.

On the first spare rib cook, I used 270 as my target heat and used the 3-2-1 method. The meat was well done, not dead but when we took a bite the meat pulled right off the bone and the top surface was dry and tough.

The brisket was better but it too was a little well done. I smoked it until I liked the look of the bark with the internal temp at 165 and wrapped it in butcher paper. I took it off at 206. It was a smallish one, 9 lbs after trimmed and it only took 8 hours to cook. Unusual to me! Too fast! I always liked my target cooking temps to be 235 in the past.

So on the last two St Louis rib cook, I lowered the target to 240 and did the 3-2-1 and I got pretty much the same result: a little overly cooked and the meat pulled right off the bones. BTW, I wrapped the ribs in foil, not butcher paper.

I was pleasantly pleased with how I was able to control the heat while maintaining good smoke. The temps were usually +/- 10 degrees, with the occasional run-over a little higher but not too much or too often. I also always had a foil pan of water on the bottom shelf nearest the left side where the smoke and heat enter the cook chamber (reverse flow), with the food on the middle shelf. I use a thermo-Q to monitor the pit temps.

Sorry about writing a book just to ask one question but I thought all of the detail would help. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Have a nice day!

IMO, the problem is not your cooker, its the 3-2-1 rib method. It's never worked for me, maybe its worked for you in the past on a diff smoker. I smoke ribs until they get the color I'm looking for, which tells me how much smoke they've taken, then I wrap and the total cook is rarely over 4 hours.

But I can't tell you what color your ribs should be when you wrap, that's all about your personal tastes and you can only find that by cooking ribs.

The brisket was smallish, I cook to probe tender, not to a temp. When it gets upper 190ish I start probing the middle of the brisket. When it feels like butter its done.

IDK what you've been cooking on, but a stickburner will have more convection than other smokers, and more convection means faster cooking times. Just like a convection oven in the kitchen vrs a conventional oven.

First thing I’d do is calibrate the thermometer in boiling water. I think 3-2-1 method was designed for cooking at 225. With a stick burner, I cook the ribs until they get a nice mahogany color and wrap.

I cook ribs until they probe tender using a bamboo skewer or pass the bend test. Sometimes I'll wrap them for a bit at the end to which will basically steam and tenderize them. I always cook meat until it's cooked properly never by time alone.

I usually mix half and half apple cider vinegar and water, or make a mop sauce, and spray just before the ribs starts to look dry or any dry spots throughout the cook. Usually only have to do this a 3-5 times cooking around 250F before the ribs get around 140-155, then I put a few splashes of whistorchire sauce and 3-4 small pats of chilled butter in my foil, and place the ribs meat side down into this mixture and wrap and cook meat side down until ribs are probe tender around 196-199 (too overdone for me over 199, then pull and let sit out in the wrapper for an hour or so while I clean up and shower before pulling the ribs out and cutting to serve. Still has some resistance to it but not dry, and the butter and whist sauce make a really good "moisture" feel (not really a sauce cause not that drenched).

I'm new to stick burner offsets too.
ONE thing I've learned that works for me from YT and reading, etc....for Brisket is:

Watch for that top fat to be properly rendered.

I don't wrap till that top fat cap (trimmed of course before cooking)...when you touch it, it easy gives, not rubbery, like warm jello...at that point, I wrap in butcher paper and start that last part of the cook.

I take the trimmings of my brisket, throw in a pan/jar and throw that in the smoker to render some "smoked tallow" and I pour a good bit of that on my brisket when wrapping in the butcher paper....keeps nice and moist.

At the end, about 203F or so, I start trying to get a feel if the brisket is done. When I pick it up, and it bends nicely in the center I think it is done...

I've been doing by this an so far these really help the results.

That part of the rendered fat...so far, is generally AFTER the stall at 165F or so, I believe I've wrapped generally at 270-280F....but rather than temp, I look for the fat cap render....and when I hit 165F and see the stall, I actually raise my cook chamber temp a bit to help that render along.

I guess basically, I've had to switch my thinking from "cooking to X temperature"...I used the temperature as a guide to when to start the physical and visual checks for what it should be at a stage...

Does that make sense?

Anyway...I'm new...VERY new only a few cooks and still trying to learn fire management on mine, but so far, this seems to help me.

HTH,

cayenne

I've gotten a bit lazy with my ribs. my wife likes her ribs ~almost~ fall off the bone. so I've been runnin the smoke at about 250-275, I typically dont "temp" my ribs, usually on the smoke til they 'look' right then when it's time to wrap I will often use a full size chafing pan and a splash of apple juice in it then cover with foil and finish in the oven at whatever temp I feel I need to do to have them ready in time for the meal while I'm prepping sides.

generally I know it's not a competition worthy rib but friends/family like my ribs and that's all that matters to me :p

Definitely calibrate your thermometer. I would also suggest a biscuit test- Put Biscuits in various areas of your smoker and cook them. This will help ypou to identify the hot areas of your cooker
When doing Brisket use a probe when you think its done- it should go in like butter
When I had my Meadowcreek stick burner I use to put my spilts on top of the warming cabinet. I felt this warmed the wood and helped to prevent that nasty white smoke that gives a bad taste to the food

When I had my Meadowcreek stick burner I use to put my spilts on top of the warming cabinet. I felt this warmed the wood and helped to prevent that nasty white smoke that gives a bad taste to the food

I do similar, usually set them on top of the firebox, my OK Joe has a small shelf on the firebox so the split isn't directly touching the firebox, hard to describe without pics, but most have prolly seen what i'm talkin about, they get quite warm, sometimes need a glove to put them on the fire but they light quickly and burn cleanly it seems.

IMO, the problem is not your cooker, its the 3-2-1 rib method. It's never worked for me, maybe its worked for you in the past on a diff smoker. I smoke ribs until they get the color I'm looking for, which tells me how much smoke they've taken, then I wrap and the total cook is rarely over 4 hours.

But I can't tell you what color your ribs should be when you wrap, that's all about your personal tastes and you can only find that by cooking ribs.

The brisket was smallish, I cook to probe tender, not to a temp. When it gets upper 190ish I start probing the middle of the brisket. When it feels like butter its done.

IDK what you've been cooking on, but a stickburner will have more convection than other smokers, and more convection means faster cooking times. Just like a convection oven in the kitchen vrs a conventional oven.

Good to know, thank you.

Agreed, like most have said just smoke to color then wrap or boat if you choose. I usually do 45-60 in a boat or wrap then back on the rack with a little sauce to set. My BB’s take around 3 hours in the Humphrey’s, St. Louis about four hours, I typically cook at 275 for the last 5-6 years.

Attachments

• PXL_20220605_211806571_Original.jpg
    PXL_20220605_211806571_Original.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 90
Agreed, like most have said just smoke to color then wrap or boat if you choose. I usually do 45-60 in a boat or wrap then back on the rack with a little sauce to set. My BB’s take around 3 hours in the Humphrey’s, St. Louis about four hours, I typically cook at 275 for the last 5-6 years.

Fishwater2002, What does "boat them" mean? That is the first time I have heard that. I'm guessing, lay them meat side down in an pan and cover with foil. Is that it?

Fishwater2002, What does "boat them" mean? That is the first time I have heard that. I'm guessing, lay them meat side down in an pan and cover with foil. Is that it?

Chud’s BBQ popularized (maybe created?) the term but it means to only wrap the bottom of the meat in tin foil. Like the meat is sitting in a boat vs fully wrapped & covered. It helps protect the meat, increase tenderness without messing up the bark. These ribs are in a boat….

Attachments

• PXL_20230408_223954715_Original.jpg
    PXL_20230408_223954715_Original.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 69
Chud’s BBQ popularized (maybe created?) the term but it means to only wrap the bottom of the meat in tin foil. Like the meat is sitting in a boat vs fully wrapped & covered. It helps protect the meat, increase tenderness without messing up the bark. These ribs are in a boat….

I will definitely be trying that. Thank you

Malcolm and Mark Williams have done a deep deep dive into ribs.

First they made a 30 minute YT vid

https://youtu.be/LoGwW1OUcZE?si=BpZZZyviz6NVy6QS

Then Malcolm devoted the entire weekly podcast to ribs. Everything you wanted to know about cooking ribs and more.

https://youtu.be/LoGwW1OUcZE?si=BpZZZyviz6NVy6QS

They mix a lot of comp tricks and hacks in there, while I'm only interested in backyard , but they made me think about cooking ribs in ways I'd never thought about.

I want's to see some bone too...

I also like to see the meat pull away from the bone a bit before wrapping....

Back