First Brisket on the new BlueSmoke Smoker offset stick burner...

Something else to consider is that when you've been tending the fire all day your palate tends to get overwhelmed by smoke. This leads to the pitmaster often not being able to taste smoke flavor on the meat...until they have leftovers the next day, and the smoke flavor comes through full force. I often do a long 6+ hour hold of the meat when I'm finished cooking it, and will change my clothes, shower, and take a nap. When I wake up my palate is usually refreshed, and the meat tastes quite smokey when I eat it for dinner.

Yup.... This is totally on point - no pun intended.

Not sure what oak...

I realize it is, but both Post Oak and Live Oak produce a much different smoke flavor than White Oak.

In New Orleans here...I dunno WTF type oak I got delivered....living here, you'd think Live Oak since what's what we're known for, but I've heard Pin Oak...etc.

Oh well...I got some form of Oak and since it's not going to turn to hickory any time soon, I gotta play with it and figure best way to make it give enough smoke for my tastes.

OH well, there's worse ways to spend ones time than being in search for the perfect "smoke"...haha?

C

I like using the moisture meter on the middle of the split to get a true reading, so I take a split or two and split in half. The exterior of the splits will always be drier.

In New Orleans here...I dunno WTF type oak I got delivered....living here, you'd think Live Oak since what's what we're known for, but I've heard Pin Oak...etc.

Oh well...I got some form of Oak and since it's not going to turn to hickory any time soon, I gotta play with it and figure best way to make it give enough smoke for my tastes.

OH well, there's worse ways to spend ones time than being in search for the perfect "smoke"...haha?

C

Same here near Jackson 🤣. That and some people don't know what seasoned wood is....... I miss Texas

Back