THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dcimike125

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Mike
I want to start by thanking the Brethren for all the support the past month.

With the loss of my son David last month, I struggled to do anything today. But my wife convinced me to fire up one of the smokers and do a brisket. I stopped at the (not very) local Restaurant Depot and picked up a 9 lb. Meyers Natural Angus brisket. Figuring that Father's Day is MY day and we only had a few members of the family, I decided to go for broke and use the new OK Joe Highland (named Black Throated Wind)

IMG_7324.jpg

A little trimming and some rub:

IMG_7326.jpg

And onto the OK Joe Highland with Western Lump charcoal and mesquite:

IMG_7328.jpg

IMG_7329.jpg

So, I’m sitting in my garage listening to the Dead with a cold one in the middle of the cook. My wife decides that it is the perfect time to repaint MY garage door. I’m trying to keep fire management in check and fighting to get past her and the wet paint to do so.

Under the wrap now:

IMG_7333.jpg

IMG_7334.jpg

The three smartest things I’ve done in my life were:
1. marrying my wife
2. buying the iGrill 4 port
and
3. installing a surveillance camera by the smokers to monitor them.

From the Man Cave command post, I can reach a beer and monitor both the temp AND smoke situation:

IMG_7338.jpg

IMG_7337.jpg

IMG_7335.jpg

And now the finished product:

IMG_7341.jpg

IMG_7339.jpg

My wife washed the paint off, went into the kitchen and turned out a corn salad, cole slaw and a BANGING potato salad. There are minimal leftovers:-(
I am stuffed and there is still a key lime pie!@

I miss you David!

Today's cook is dedicated to my son David and the three brothers in arms I lost 17 years ago today at the Father’s Day Fire in a hardware store in Astoria, NY. (That's in the Borough of Queens)
RIP FF John Downing, FF Brian Fahey and FF Harry Ford
painting.jpg

Image (C) Steve Spak

Last edited:
Mike, I hope that today, getting to Q, gave you a great amount of enjoyment. Hope your cup stayed full, and your heart was lifted a little. The Q looks great! :thumb:

Nice setup and brisket. Lots of great people on here if you need anything. Good to see you enjoying your day!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mike, sorry for your loss. I am glad you were able to do a cook in your sons memory. The brisket looks like it turned out fantastic. Thanks for posting.

I want to start by thanking the Brethren for all the support the past month.

With the loss of my son David last month, I struggled to do anything today. But my wife convinced me to fire up one of the smokers and do a brisket. I stopped at the (not very) local Restaurant Depot and picked up a 9 lb. Meyers Natural Angus brisket. Figuring that Father's Day is MY day and we only had a few members of the family, I decided to go for broke and use the new OK Joe Highland (named Black Throated Wind)

IMG_7324.jpg

A little trimming and some rub:

IMG_7326.jpg

And onto the OK Joe Highland with Western Lump charcoal and mesquite:

IMG_7328.jpg

IMG_7329.jpg

So, I’m sitting in my garage listening to the Dead with a cold one in the middle of the cook. My wife decides that it is the perfect time to repaint MY garage door. I’m trying to keep fire management in check and fighting to get past her and the wet paint to do so.

Under the wrap now:

IMG_7333.jpg

IMG_7334.jpg

The three smartest things I’ve done in my life were:
1. marrying my wife
2. buying the iGrill 4 port
and
3. installing a surveillance camera by the smokers to monitor them.

From the Man Cave command post, I can reach a beer and monitor both the temp AND smoke situation:

IMG_7338.jpg

IMG_7337.jpg

IMG_7335.jpg

And now the finished product:

IMG_7341.jpg

IMG_7339.jpg

My wife washed the paint off, went into the kitchen and turned out a corn salad, cole slaw and a BANGING potato salad. There are minimal leftovers:-(
I am stuffed and there is still a key lime pie!@

I miss you David!

Today's cook is dedicated to my son David and the three brothers in arms I lost 17 years ago today at the Father’s Day Fire in a hardware store in Astoria, NY. (That's in the Borough of Queens)
RIP FF John Downing, FF Brian Fahey and FF Harry Ford
painting.jpg

Image (C) Steve Spak
Awesome looking brisket!! God Bless You brother.

Back