Lower final temp on brisket with long hold?

HuffDaddy BBQ

Found some matches.
I’ve seen a lot of videos lately suggesting some of the popular restaurants in America only take their briskets to about 185°-190° and then hold at 150° for up to 24 hrs. The concept being that the brisket looses lest moisture if it doesn’t go to higher overall temps and the long hold continues to break down collagen and eventually tenderize.
I’ve held briskets for long periods before, but I’ve always taken them to tender before holding.
I am doing a catering this weekend with multiple side dishes and it would be beneficial to use this and let the briskets set in my warmer for sometime. My fear is that if I pull them at 190° and they aren’t tender, I’ll won’t know if it worked and they are tender until the next day and right before the event.

Anyone tried this method before?

I haven't tried that method and I would be surprised if they cook to a temp of only 190 and that they are tender. Seems the longer the cook (low and slow) the lower the finish temp but 190 seems low. I have put them in an oven for over 4 hours and they came out great but I don't do any catering. I believe some of the commercial companies also use saran wrap them during the hold which stops them from breathing. Maybe that is how they go from 190 to 20x where it finishes as it continues to cook a bit?

185F is what i do, but i hold it at 185F for a few hours to break down the fat then lower the warming oven temp to 140-150 to hold for up to 12 hours.

We used to smoke briskets in our smoker overnight at a temp of 190 for 8-9 hours and hold at 140. When we arrived the next morning, they were what we expected. But, this routine took some adjusting over a few weeks until we dialed in the smoker (SP SRG-400). I would not try anything on a catering gig that I had not done at least once in practice.

Back