Jerky Project

snadamo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Adam
Well, I made 6 lbs (pre-dried) of teriyaki and "original" (uncle Abe's) the other day.

I had an eye of round that was still a bit frozen
52561700139_97e7a20433_b.jpg

All trimmed up
52561875275_7698e3862f_b.jpg

So since the eye of round was still pretty frozen. I had to thaw it out a bit...so it took longer than it should have. Not pictured is that Mrs Snadamo came home with a top round while I was doing this for me to use for jerky. Since it wasn't frozen, that this took about 4 minutes to slice, if that. I used the eye of round for the Uncle Abe's (sausage maker blend; family LOVES it) and used the top round for the Teriyaki blend.
52560952997_a726b2da40_b.jpg

Just a pic of what it looks like before slicing
52561700059_4f8ec412f8_b.jpg

Might be hard to tell but at some point that slicer can fling meat everywhere (the top round wasn't as cold/frozen as it should've been)
52561700144_2165b2241f_b.jpg

All sliced Put saran wrap on top and in to the fridge overnight.
52561700129_584b22cdf0_b.jpg

Obligatory cool smoker shot. The slo-mo video is awesome. I only smoked uncle Abe's batch, put the teriyaki straight in the dehydrator. Finished the uncle Abe's in the dehydrator after the Teriyaki was done.
52561878585_69b1f9affc_b.jpg

Finished products. I will say the teriyaki needed more...well...teriyaki in it so next time I will add some instead of water or something to that effect. The Uncle Abes came out good, but I had it on the smoker too long. Lost track of time and juggling a few things. Still good though.
52560953012_92331b5b97_b.jpg

As for cleanup, I recently bought this and recommend it for cleaning surface or food appliances. Super easy and checks all my boxes.

Thanks for looking!
52561403236_5788d1c0b9_b.jpg

Yer a busy guy, Adam. Looks pretty good!

Haha. Between this hobby and time with the kids and studying for other things, I’m getting a little burn out. Christmas vacation can’t come soon enough

@snadamo Is Uncle Abe's on the sweet side? I noticed the main ingredient is corn syrup. I don't fall into that category that has issues with corn syrup. I just want to know if its sweet enough that i don't need to add any sugar.
I guess i am asking the differences between Uncle Abe's and Your teryaki?

@snadamo Is Uncle Abe's on the sweet side? I noticed the main ingredient is corn syrup. I don't fall into that category that has issues with corn syrup. I just want to know if its sweet enough that i don't need to add any sugar.
I guess i am asking the differences between Uncle Abe's and Your teryaki?

I personally feel like the uncle abe's is saltier profile more than a sweet one. Hard to compare it to something else.

The Teriyaki I feel was more ginger-y than sweet also, which in future batches I was going to add soy and/or teriyaki.

I have a few others to try out and will gladly give my review on them when I make it.

I personally feel like the uncle abe's is saltier profile more than a sweet one. Hard to compare it to something else.

The Teriyaki I feel was more ginger-y than sweet also, which in future batches I was going to add soy and/or teriyaki.

I have a few others to try out and will gladly give my review on them when I make it.

Ah, so after recieving my 5lb bucket i did some searching and i am guessing your Teriyaki batch is Uncle Abe's Teriyaki? I tried to get ingredient list for Ucle Abe's Teriyaki but theres no label i could find online. I did notice the same size container makes exactly half the pound of meat. So i am guessing their teriyaki blend is probably original seasoning with brown sugar in a 1:1 ratio. At least that's my guess.

I made a 2.5lb batch and added 2.5 TBSP of uncle abes original and 1/2 cup of brown sugar, will see if its sweet enough for my taste.

EDIT: test run after 24 hours, dried out a strip. Needs way more flavor. I decided to add a total of 5 TBSP to 2.5lb and instead of 1 cup of water for 5 TBSP i used 3/4 cup water and 1/4 cup soy sauce and also doubled the brown sugar to 1 cup instead of 1/2 cup. Going to let it marinade overnight for a total of 36 hours.

Also, wtf is Hydrolized corn syrup & wheat gluten protein? Its the main ingredient and i could not find any info on what its use would be for food. Also, whats confusing is the nutritional facts list sugars as 0g......

Last edited:
test run #2 flavor is good. Just the right amount of saltiness and sweet. Also, while my bucket lists "hydrolized corn syrup & wheat gluten protein" I found some other labels online of the same seasoning and it lists " hydrolyzed Plant Protein" So im thinking my bucket label is a typo, or just another name for HPP. HPP is a flavor enhancer which contains MSG, i figure its just a way to say No MSG and not scare off the OMG MSG people.

Back