THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

snadamo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Adam
Well, I made 6 lbs (pre-dried) of teriyaki and "original" (uncle Abe's) the other day.

I had an eye of round that was still a bit frozen
52561700139_97e7a20433_b.jpg

All trimmed up
52561875275_7698e3862f_b.jpg

So since the eye of round was still pretty frozen. I had to thaw it out a bit...so it took longer than it should have. Not pictured is that Mrs Snadamo came home with a top round while I was doing this for me to use for jerky. Since it wasn't frozen, that this took about 4 minutes to slice, if that. I used the eye of round for the Uncle Abe's (sausage maker blend; family LOVES it) and used the top round for the Teriyaki blend.
52560952997_a726b2da40_b.jpg

Just a pic of what it looks like before slicing
52561700059_4f8ec412f8_b.jpg

Might be hard to tell but at some point that slicer can fling meat everywhere (the top round wasn't as cold/frozen as it should've been)
52561700144_2165b2241f_b.jpg

All sliced Put saran wrap on top and in to the fridge overnight.
52561700129_584b22cdf0_b.jpg

Obligatory cool smoker shot. The slo-mo video is awesome. I only smoked uncle Abe's batch, put the teriyaki straight in the dehydrator. Finished the uncle Abe's in the dehydrator after the Teriyaki was done.
52561878585_69b1f9affc_b.jpg

Finished products. I will say the teriyaki needed more...well...teriyaki in it so next time I will add some instead of water or something to that effect. The Uncle Abes came out good, but I had it on the smoker too long. Lost track of time and juggling a few things. Still good though.
52560953012_92331b5b97_b.jpg

As for cleanup, I recently bought this and recommend it for cleaning surface or food appliances. Super easy and checks all my boxes.

Thanks for looking!
52561403236_5788d1c0b9_b.jpg

Yer a busy guy, Adam. Looks pretty good!

Haha. Between this hobby and time with the kids and studying for other things, I’m getting a little burn out. Christmas vacation can’t come soon enough

@snadamo Is Uncle Abe's on the sweet side? I noticed the main ingredient is corn syrup. I don't fall into that category that has issues with corn syrup. I just want to know if its sweet enough that i don't need to add any sugar.
I guess i am asking the differences between Uncle Abe's and Your teryaki?

@snadamo Is Uncle Abe's on the sweet side? I noticed the main ingredient is corn syrup. I don't fall into that category that has issues with corn syrup. I just want to know if its sweet enough that i don't need to add any sugar.
I guess i am asking the differences between Uncle Abe's and Your teryaki?

I personally feel like the uncle abe's is saltier profile more than a sweet one. Hard to compare it to something else.

The Teriyaki I feel was more ginger-y than sweet also, which in future batches I was going to add soy and/or teriyaki.

I have a few others to try out and will gladly give my review on them when I make it.

I personally feel like the uncle abe's is saltier profile more than a sweet one. Hard to compare it to something else.

The Teriyaki I feel was more ginger-y than sweet also, which in future batches I was going to add soy and/or teriyaki.

I have a few others to try out and will gladly give my review on them when I make it.

Ah, so after recieving my 5lb bucket i did some searching and i am guessing your Teriyaki batch is Uncle Abe's Teriyaki? I tried to get ingredient list for Ucle Abe's Teriyaki but theres no label i could find online. I did notice the same size container makes exactly half the pound of meat. So i am guessing their teriyaki blend is probably original seasoning with brown sugar in a 1:1 ratio. At least that's my guess.

I made a 2.5lb batch and added 2.5 TBSP of uncle abes original and 1/2 cup of brown sugar, will see if its sweet enough for my taste.

EDIT: test run after 24 hours, dried out a strip. Needs way more flavor. I decided to add a total of 5 TBSP to 2.5lb and instead of 1 cup of water for 5 TBSP i used 3/4 cup water and 1/4 cup soy sauce and also doubled the brown sugar to 1 cup instead of 1/2 cup. Going to let it marinade overnight for a total of 36 hours.

Also, wtf is Hydrolized corn syrup & wheat gluten protein? Its the main ingredient and i could not find any info on what its use would be for food. Also, whats confusing is the nutritional facts list sugars as 0g......

Last edited:
test run #2 flavor is good. Just the right amount of saltiness and sweet. Also, while my bucket lists "hydrolized corn syrup & wheat gluten protein" I found some other labels online of the same seasoning and it lists " hydrolyzed Plant Protein" So im thinking my bucket label is a typo, or just another name for HPP. HPP is a flavor enhancer which contains MSG, i figure its just a way to say No MSG and not scare off the OMG MSG people.

Back