THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lumber Jack and a few others have charcoal pellets and work well for grilling steaks and such, think they are a 30% blend if I remember right, have not bought any pellets in a while but don't remember seeing any last time or 3 I was looking

I would happily try them, the only way I’m getting enough smoke from my Grilla so far is with a smoke tube. However I haven’t tried anything except comp blends yet. I have a bag of Lumberjack hickory next up to see if there is a difference.

I will be interested to see how these fare…

Water Resistant
Burns Hotter
Authentic BBQ Flavor
100% Charcoal No Fillers
Safe For Use In All Pellet Grills

I would happily try them, the only way I’m getting enough smoke from my Grilla so far is with a smoke tube. However I haven’t tried anything except comp blends yet. I have a bag of Lumberjack hickory next up to see if there is a difference.

In all my testing with pellet smokers, Pitt Boss Vertical puts out the most smoke/smoke flavor regardless of what wood flavor, well with the exception of Alder. That said, Pitt Boss probably has the most temp swings of all my pellet smokers.

Also, the Pit Boss vertical has one of the lowest temps ive seen in a Pellet smoker at 150F and also has a "Smoke" setting which in my tests hover around 130-140F just above the water pan. Great for adding smoke flavor to Jerky.

Last edited:
I don't know , if ya want charcoal ............... just go gravity feed, and get the best of charcoal and chunk.

A friend of mine is dabbling in the craft of pellet making. Beginner equipment. He has access to real pellet mills but needs to rewire his shop along with some other huge mods to make it happen.

Anyway I asked him if he could pellet charcoal. He said yes they do it alot. I ask him if he wanted my crumbs from all me lump bags. Not now I guess.

Call me skeptical, but I always get my charcoal red hot before i add to my food to the grill. I would think that pellets made from charcoal would give off that unwanted smell/flavor you get when charcoal initially starts burning/smoking. 100% carcinogenics.

Anyone that has ever lit a chimney starter knows that sucker smokes like crazy till the coals are red hot ready to be added to the grill.

Last edited:
Somebody give them a shot and report back.

I don't have a pellet cooker and don't really want one (much) -

but I always look forward to new products getting talked up by the gang.

Maybe it's just me but, I tried the LJ Char-Hickory but, didn't notice much of a difference

I'm in the same boat - tried LJ ones and really had no discernible taste difference from any other pellet I've run. To that end I must admit I really can't tell much, if any, difference between different pellets anyway. I was on a Bear Mtn pellet kick for awhile and tried most every one of them but again, my taste buds couldn't really tell you any notable difference in the finished products (chicken and ribs).

On a diff note: my RT590 seems to have a bit more difficulty in the auger using the Bear Mtn but has zero issue with the Kingsford brand pellets. Runs LJ pellets just fine as well.

Back