It's here! 2017 Carolina Bash!

Thanks to everyone who came and especially to Dennis for putting everything together. I had a wonderful day and I think everyone did. That pic of the plate wasn't anything like mine. Mine was stacked up way higher than that. All of the food was wonderful and totally sugar free and low calorie. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Anyone who reads this, please try to join us next year. It was a fabulous time of friendship, fellowship and good food.

Ok, please don't take this as me trying to hijack the thread. But since there are quite a few South Carolina people in one thread taking about BBQ, I thought I would pose this here. I was stationed in Charleston SC in the early 2000's. While there we frequented a place called Dukes BBQ. There they had the best rice and hash I think I have ever eaten. Well for that matter it was the first time a Texas kid had tried hash. So with that said, I have scoured the internet to try and find a good recipe. But due to the amount of ingredients that go into it and the great variety of recipes found, I was scared to make one. So with the help of this thread I though I would ask if anybody has a good hash recipe that mimics that of Dukes BBQ. Oh and by the way the bash looks awesome. We used to have our squadron picnic's at Lake Marion, and man was it beautiful. We will eventually get back to SC so I can show the wife and kids where I lived and show them the rich history and beauty of that state....Thanks in advance, and again I am not trying to hijack the thread.

Ok, please don't take this as me trying to hijack the thread. But since there are quite a few South Carolina people in one thread taking about BBQ, I thought I would pose this here. I was stationed in Charleston SC in the early 2000's. While there we frequented a place called Dukes BBQ. There they had the best rice and hash I think I have ever eaten. Well for that matter it was the first time a Texas kid had tried hash. So with that said, I have scoured the internet to try and find a good recipe. But due to the amount of ingredients that go into it and the great variety of recipes found, I was scared to make one. So with the help of this thread I though I would ask if anybody has a good hash recipe that mimics that of Dukes BBQ. Oh and by the way the bash looks awesome. We used to have our squadron picnic's at Lake Marion, and man was it beautiful. We will eventually get back to SC so I can show the wife and kids where I lived and show them the rich history and beauty of that state....Thanks in advance, and again I am not trying to hijack the thread.

My young bride and I too were stationed in Charleston back in the late 70's when it was CAFB. Great memories. I don't know about the hash but the folks were great! From the SC folks I know here I see that has not changed.

Great Bash folks! We too hope to make one! :clap2:

First off thank you for your service! I know some great hash cooks around here but they will not give me the recipes! I have tried. I have never attempted hash due to the labor intensity of it. I am going to a wedding this weekend and may be able to get some pointers later on in the reception which I will gladly pass on!

I indended to put this post here

Wow! Just had some of awscwi's bit barrel chicken from the bash as dinner leftovers, even 2 days in the fridge and reheating in the house oven couldn't reduce the moistness or flavor. This was some really good PBC chicken!

Found this post in a thread from 2012 from I am mad man

A friend who visited "Duke's BBQ" says this recipe is close to what they have in that South Carolina restaurant.

2-3 lbs leftover pork roast or pulled pork
2-3 lbs leftover beef roast or brisket
1 lb chicken optional
Reserve some stock from cooking any of the above meats
1 large onion
1 28 ounces can diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen sweet white corn
1 can creamed corn
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons black pepper
1 tablespoon ground red pepper
1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon salt

Chop or grind the meat into large chunks.

Place in a heavy pot and add water to barely cover.

Simmer more than an hour.

When the meat is very tender, drain and reserve any broth.

Grind the meat with a coarse hand grinder or chop finely.
(Do not use a food processor as it destroys the texture.)

Grind one large onion, Place onion and the meat back into the pot and add one large can of tomatoes with the juice.

Add corn, vinegar and seasonings.

Add some of the reserved broth to the meat until it reaches the consistency of a thick stew.

Simmer a few minutes and serve..

Man now you guys have me wanting some rice and hash! I was always a fan of Shealy's in Batesburg Leesville. Next thing you know we'll be taking about Brunswick stew!

My young bride and I too were stationed in Charleston back in the late 70's when it was CAFB. Great memories. I don't know about the hash but the folks were great! From the SC folks I know here I see that has not changed.

Great Bash folks! We too hope to make one! :clap2:

I was born in Charleston in the late 70s, my dad was stationed there. Small world!

Found this post in a thread from 2012 from I am mad man

A friend who visited "Duke's BBQ" says this recipe is close to what they have in that South Carolina restaurant.

2-3 lbs leftover pork roast or pulled pork
2-3 lbs leftover beef roast or brisket
1 lb chicken optional
Reserve some stock from cooking any of the above meats
1 large onion
1 28 ounces can diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen sweet white corn
1 can creamed corn
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons black pepper
1 tablespoon ground red pepper
1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon salt

Chop or grind the meat into large chunks.

Place in a heavy pot and add water to barely cover.

Simmer more than an hour.

When the meat is very tender, drain and reserve any broth.

Grind the meat with a coarse hand grinder or chop finely.
(Do not use a food processor as it destroys the texture.)

Grind one large onion, Place onion and the meat back into the pot and add one large can of tomatoes with the juice.

Add corn, vinegar and seasonings.

Add some of the reserved broth to the meat until it reaches the consistency of a thick stew.

Simmer a few minutes and serve..

This is more of a Brunswick Stew, not a hash.

Cool was wondering why the corn was mentioned. I pulled it out of an old hash thread. I know some people will put some potato in their hash to thicken it up but I never heard of corn in hash.

Back