BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Phil
It's another spin around the big fire ball. 19 years ago today we opened this forum. me, willkat98, racer81, badger, wayne, Solidkick and a load of other ladies left the yahoo group after being spanked for being to "woodpileish", which they called childish. Low and behold the birth of the Brethren. Seemed we werent the only onese who were too childish to be spanked by a bunch of duds as the majority of members slowly migrated from yahoo to our humble Abode here.

It's been a fun ride. Still is. Although many have moved on from bbq or moved over to social media, we still survive here as an active forum. Our survival is due to our supporting memebership, our great moderators, who I can't thank enough for sticking with me all this time and to all you Chatty farkers who keep us alive and active while many other bbq forum have gone dormant or shut down completely.

Personally, and i can also speak confidently for many others, we've gone from a small bunch of Backyard enthusiasts cooking on their Banderas to multiple trips to the American Royal and The Jack. I cooked on the comp circuit for 14 years winning many GC and RGC. I never would have done that if it wasn't for the support and camaraderie I recieved in this group.

Dozens of life long friendships have been established here at the Brethren. We have lived by the code "there is no one way" and we've learned and respected the techniques of everyone who was willing to share. Personally I retired from comp bbq and now put that effort into cooking for charity and outreach events for our Veterans and Cancer support organizations. Again, something that never would have happened with the support and friends I have made here. We truly are an astounding group for us to still be viable after 19 years and it is all due to our membership.

I have more to say but my fi gers are going numb sin ce I'm doing this on my phone. So I'll tie this up with a thank you to all of you who have supported us throughout the years. Our mods, our senior members who help police the forums and our general membership who comes back and keeps us alive. Thank you to all.

More when I get some blood in my fingers.

Phil

Last edited:
Happy Birthday to all the Brethren!
And a big thanks to Phill and the others who started it and to continue to make it thrive!

Happy Birthday Brethren!

I can hardly believe that I hit my 10 years on here two weeks ago. Never even stuck around in one career for that long. :-D Made some great friends from here both online and in person.

LOVE this place! Have learned so much here, and the Brethren commaradarie is like no other. many thanks to the folks that started this place and the mods who maintain the culture around here. Well done all around! And thank you!

I regret the nearly 10 year hiatus I took due to a massive workload, but I did check in a few times.

I appreciate Bill (willkat) sending me a message every now and then.
I miss some folks that were here in my early years.

Happy birthday !

Happy Birthday Brethren!

Not as active as I was at one time but still this place is special and I have learned a lot.
I don't cook often anymore. Meat is too expensive but hoping I can get a deer this deer season and get cooking again. So hopefully sometime in November can post some new cooks if I pull off learning to hunt on my own.
Thanks for putting up with me all these years.

Thanks Phil. This is where I learned to BBQ after many failed attempts and no one to teach me. Cannot believe I have been here almost 10 years. Now I'm a CBJ and have done a few comps myself, plus I'm the go to guy at work when it comes to BBQ or chili. I should post more, but I'm busy and stay a sponsor to support those just learning. Happy Birthday Brethren, You Matter!

I'm so glad to learn there is a difference between a forum and social media. Now, I can go back to saying I don't use social media! Thanks to everyone that makes this forum happen, glad I found it.
Happy Birthday, Farkers!

Happy B Day Brethren Thank you Phil and the rest of the Founding Fathers I have had a lot of fun here, learned a lot, and mad a lot of friends. I do miss those that have left Heres to a lot more years

Back