THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Have some really nice sized tomatoes that are green on the vine. The plants were in the dirt around Mother's Day as we have chances for late Freeze and frost. We usually do FGT's at end of season with those that refuse to ripen before fall frost. Whilst sipping my morning coffee I began to ponder. Why not Fry some early green tomatoes? So I googled and found this article. It's perfectly acceptable to fry early season đź’š green tomatoes. If I knew that I'd forgotten.

Link to Fried Green Tomatoes with recipe

https://homegardenveg.com/when-are-green-tomatoes-ready-to-pick-for-frying-and-pickling/

Love em here.
My wife always begged (and usually won) for them in the early season but I was determined to ripen em for salsa, etc.
Buckets of em in the late fall. That's the season.

Slap ya mama

qqrCfmzh.jpg

Egg wash

l0PRonXh.jpg

Fry

tox2Iizh.jpg

Serve. Good stuff!

EROjUJkh.jpg

We eat fried green tomatoes all summer. But we always use diced green tomatoes and put in with frying Okra.

I must comment.NEVER,NEVER,EVER pull a green tomato until you have harvested at least 12 red,vine ripened tomatos.Once the required dozen ripe tomatoes have been harvested,then and only then is it proper protocol to pull green tomato’s for frying.That is just our rule around here.Does not matter how many plants you plant and grow the numbers do not change.We normally pull and can when threat of frost is in the forecast but pull a few throughout the growing season just for fun.Fried Pink tomatoes are good too.1/2 ripe but still firm.

I must comment.NEVER,NEVER,EVER pull a green tomato until you have harvested at least 12 red,vine ripened tomatos.Once the required dozen ripe tomatoes have been harvested,then and only then is it proper protocol to pull green tomato’s for frying.That is just our rule around here.Does not matter how many plants you plant and grow the numbers do not change.We normally pull and can when threat of frost is in the forecast but pull a few throughout the growing season just for fun.Fried Pink tomatoes are good too.1/2 ripe but still firm.

Knowledge is power.
Thanks

We eat fried green tomatoes all summer. But we always use diced green tomatoes and put in with frying Okra.

Interesting.I fry okra pods whole.Steam them for a minute or two then toss in fish fry meal.I never thought of tossing in some green maters with them.Thanks for the tip!

Back